The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free, authentic and useless
Wink 
I am sure Friends will wish to be made aware of the work of Joop P. Pauwelussen, Wouter Dalhuijsen, and Menno Merts, and their paper on tyre dynamics. A 113 page oeuvre that answers many of the questions that trouble us in this thread and which will be of enormous benefit to insomniacs.

http://laroverket.com/wp-content/uploads...ponent.pdf

If an additional, heavier dose is required in order to obtain sleep, do try the 219 pages of 'Tyre Ageing: Its effect on material properties and structural integrity' by P Balderstone, A Livadeas, and A Wilson-Law. 

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk...egrity.pdf
spannermanYes but not yours!

(09-10-2019, 07:16 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Robert and Chris,

You need to move to Scotland - recycling is very well organised and free.
In Derbyshire we have a recyling centre that takes tyres free of charge - and everything else, too. The electrical dump is expecially interesting; so far I've recovered a mint-condition, fully working Henry vacuum cleaner, an old but powerful and functioning double-ended grinder (passed on to a friend) and two small but blow-your-ears-off speakers. If you hang around for a while and watch, it's almost unbelieveable what's thrown away: lots of bicycles that appear to be in working order, great baulks of planed wood and scrap metal by the ton. I was fortunate to once intercept a chap with a box of turning tools and he then passed over a Myford taper-turning attachment, two steadies and a collection of Whitworth nuts and bolts. He'd dumped the lathe the week before..... The waste is taken away by two companies who presumably pay for it, while some Local Authorities have taken to sorting the stuff out and offering it for sale - thus relieving even more of the burden on the taxpayer.
Cambridgeshire does not permit tyres to be dumped and the sites are 'policed' by the chaps working there and you don't get the chance to snag something being thrown away by anyone else - not allowed. However, I did manage to bag a beautiful brand new Thor copper hammer there there other day before anyone noticed...
(09-10-2019, 07:16 AM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Robert and Chris,

You need to move to Scotland - recycling is very well organised and free.

Not the case here in Fife, its utter shambolic !!
Fife?? No, you’ll have to remind me John??
If I was going a lengthy trip I would fit wheels shod with newer tyres but If only going to a local show I have some wheels that have original War Dept. tyres on. They even have the W^D insignia. and are a talking point. How old they are, I don't know but they are probably Military Surplus. The size is only 19" x 3" so probably originally for motorcycle use but they give the car a nice "nimble" feel. What is most surprising is that the rubber is still supple. There is plenty of 'block' pattern tread left and they look as good as new with no sign of perishing.

I can only imagine that the quality of rubber used by the Army was better than in commercially available tyres of the time.

Incidentally, I don't expect endorsement from anyone.
Ha, no. But ive just fitted a brand new but 15 year old OEM Continental tyre on the front of my Mondeo, courtesy of Facebook marketplace complete with rim. Previously a spare on some sort of people mover.

Unfortunatley the turbo is on the blink so I cannot really tell properly how it compares to the 3 month old 40quid job on the other side. But early impressions are its got more grip.
One thing I've learned is to change out of my overalls before heading to the rubbish dump - if you look like a tradesman you attract more scrutiny.

It's a scandal what gets thrown in rubbish skips. I was delighted when I took my bench drill (bent spindle) to the tip and was able to drop it in a passing South African gentleman's boot instead. But don't let them see you do it!
Tyres vary enormously. I have seen on local Sevens ACE tyres which must be at least 50 years old and I have some which appear OK. But some makes, notably Dunlop, were a maze of cracks almost immediately after fitting. We had strict import restrictions here and local monopoly manufacturers knew how to ensure ongoing sales.
Yes indeed Bob, enormous variation; the rear tyres on my mate's Little Grey Fergie are very different to my Ruby tyres. As for bike tyre variations, Moultons can be 16" 17" or 20" Right, back to rivet counting on old photos of GWR Manor class tenders. Nurse will be round with tea and biscuits in a minute.