The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free, authentic and useless
I have an Avon New Supreme tyre with plenty of tread. From memory it is 19" (ex RP). Some of the wires are rotten and the rubber is, well, not really rubber anymore. It is no longer able to carry out the functions of a tyre. I could throw it away but surely it is a rare survivor and probably pre war?

It was the spare on my A7 but I felt it was taking originality just a little too far. 

Somebody local must want it for something? If so send me a pm.

Collection only, I'm near Chichester. 

[Image: 48842493592_ef890cb57e_c.jpg]IMG_4011 by dralowid, on Flickr

[Image: 48842316946_48d4351f54_c.jpg]IMG_4010 by dralowid, on Flickr
Offer it to Dougal at Longstone tyres as a pattern?
Some time ago I offered Dougal a couple of brand new pre-war tyres still in paper wrapping (not Austin Seven sizes!) and his reaction was they were only fit for the scrap heap.
I have a lovely old John Bull tyre, I keep it purely as garage decoration.
I bought one of those at Marshall's of Cambridge in the sixties. None of the tyre depots had 19" Austin Seven size in stock.
Robert Leigh
(04-10-2019, 06:50 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: Some time ago I offered Dougal a couple of brand new pre-war tyres still in paper wrapping (not Austin Seven sizes!) and his reaction was they were only fit for the scrap heap.

Remember that 100% original Sparkbrook motorcycle, Mike? In 1967 I spotted a 2.25-inch beaded-edge tyre hanging on the wall of a motor-spares shop in SE London. "How much is that?" I asked. "It's new." growled the owner, "Been there since me dad started this place in 1936. Never managed to sell it. Just ten shillings, son, it's a genuine old one." I managed to beat him down to five bob and, as it appeared to be in perfect condition, fitted it to the front wheel of the Sparkbrook whose original 1921 types were still in place. Fifteen years later it was still there, and probably is to this day. Living dangerously, eh!
Just read an article in this month's
Old bike mart that some insurance
Companies that if you have an rta
And tyres are older than ten years
They will not pay out !
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
For those many Seven owners who do not normally reach or exceed 50 mph I doubt if there is much heightend risk  of consequent accident because of sudden deflation, esp if you keep an eye on.  Non sport Sevens are seldom cornered near adhesion limits because roll over limits antics, so adhesion hardly an issue. (For years my car was run on smooth used m/c tyres). But hard old tyres are difficult to fit and from all accounts handling is poor, notably wander, esp cf very pliant walled moderns. I suspect the moderns behave more like radials and camber steer due local variations in tilt of the road surface is reduced.
The age limits on "moderns" have a point but I have run old cars for decades and hoarded used radial tyres 30+  years old often used. Infinitley better that the original crossplies of any age. No problems at regular 100 kph. Decades ago a work colleague addicted to high speed had the treads succesively explode off old original radials on an NSA Wankel but at 80 mph.
(06-10-2019, 06:03 PM)spannerman Wrote: Just read an article in this month's
Old bike mart that some insurance
Companies that if you have an rta
And tyres are older than ten years
They will not pay out !

It could be so, but the insurance company would need to state that in their terms and conditions. A refusual to pay out on something that may not have had anything to do with an accident would be a pay day for the lawyers. Anyway, I'm more sensible now - and not as poor!
Its worth remembering that under the RTA the insurance company cannot refuse to pay out on 3rd party claims provided youve paid the premium.