The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-spoking closed centre wheels
Hi All

I've been taking stock of the five closed centre wheels I have for my special.  Three appeared OK, one was spoked incorrectly and one had slightly worn wheel nut holes.  After a dose of molasses (see another thread) I now find that one of the good wheels has a very rusty (with holes!) rim.  I think between them I can get three or four good wheels but I will need to dismantle and rebuild mixing and matching rims and centres.

I'd like to have a go at doing this myself.

I've read the excellent Cornwall Club Technical article which refers to open centre wheels. But mine are closed centre. A second article describes the spoking pattern for closed centre wheels but not the method of doing it. 

Does anyone have any recommendations or tips?

Cheers

Howard
If they are original Austin closed centre wheels, I'd suggest you don't use them. They are weak.
Thanks Roger

I'm aware of the fact that closed centre wheels are weaker than the later wheels. These wheels do have thicker spokes, all of which seem in very good condition. I would assume that closed centre wheels with thicker spokes are OK for road use.  What is more they are what I have although I am collecting some open centre wheels which I will use for trials.

Cheers

Howard
When replacing single closed centre spokes, I found that one needed to remove more than that spoke to enable fit. A small flambé torch loosened the nut quite easily and it was easier than I thought it was going to be.
Roger seems to have condemned all cars with closed centre wheeels in one sweeping statement, no exceptions. Shame all these cars will now be taken out of service or have later wheels fitted.
Mine wheels seem to have lasted 90 years. However it is important to follow the handbook advice and check the tightness of the wheel nuts regularly.
They do loosen and when loose the countersunk locating hole wears. Ultimately the nut goes straight through!
Also important not to overtighten them. I always use the wheel brace from the toolkit.
Jim
The 7-inch brake closed-centre wheel was made in lighter and heavier versions, the latter, I believe, from some point in 1930. While the light centres are not as strong as the later - and have thinner spokes - there is nothing inherently wrong with them and many continue in use. However, as with any safety-related aspect of an old car, you just need to keep an eye on them. The original heavier centre wheels on my 1930 Chummy - they would have covered around 50,000 miles when the car was bought - were just cleaned up and then did a further 110,000 of daily road use over nine or so years. In addition, the wheels were heavily abused by rather a lot of full-on competition use in driving tests, mud-plugging trials and rallies, etc. In retrospect, I suppose I should have been amazed that, in that time, not a single spoke was broken nor did any of the centres show the slightest sign of distress (for speed events, the standard nuts had to be replaced by a Nyloc type with a flat washer....).
Tony is here seen lightly abusing his wheels:

.jpg   1971 Silverstone 800.jpg (Size: 106.32 KB / Downloads: 358)
Thanks all

Despite Roger's post I don't think I'll be scrapping my closed centre wheels.  I quite like to see the correct period features on a car and it does grate a bit when I see post 1930 wheels on a pre 1930 car (except in a competition mode).  Its a bit like seeing Posidrive screws on a Seven (although we're not mentioning the purple upholstery in my RK are we?)

It does seem that closed centre wheels can take quite a bashing (doesn't it Tony?). Thanks Jon for your post.  I have also replaced spokes on my RK and found the experience not too painful.

BUT...I would still like to hear from anyone that has actually re-spoked a wheel and what to look out for.  

Cheers

Howard
(28-09-2019, 09:01 AM)Zetomagneto Wrote: Roger seems to have condemned all cars with closed centre wheeels in one sweeping statement, no exceptions. Shame all these cars will now be taken out of service or have later wheels fitted.

The question was about closed centre wheels on a special, not all cars. A special may be fairly assumed to be driven with enthusiasm, and the number of instances of spokes pulling out of closed centre wheels, or centres pulling over studs, are legion. My father was hospitalised when it happened to him.

On a touring chummy, or little-used vintage A7, fine. However, they are weak, are known to be weak, and aren't getting any stronger with age.