The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Rear lights
Just been out to check my recently purchased Kia.Astounded to see, or not , that the rear lights only operate with side lights not day run.When Volvo introduced dayrun lights all lights , front and rear operated. So much for progress, It's not as if you would be saving much on alternator load. Another thing that I have often concidered is why manufaturers don't connect the wiper circuit to the lights especially as if your wipers are on you are supposed to have lights on as well.
The compulsory FRONT day running lights were introduced on all new models from 2011 on, so we've had a few years to get used to it. I think the logic is that brake lights will be more obvious if rear lights are not lit.

As for using lights in the rain, no we are not supposed to have lights on in the rain. We must have headlights on if visibility is seriously reduced, and the Highway Code recommends lights if the weather is dull -- but who says we need lights in the rain?

And why do people always use headlights in town these days? The law insists on sidelights.

It has been said, the more lights the better. But this disadvantages pedestrians and cyclists. If you are likely to drive into anything not displaying headlights, then the non-motorised will get mown down.
The idea of having headlamps on in daylight or poor light in daylight hours is not for the benefit of the driver to see better. It is I order that other drivers and pedestrians together with other road users can see you better. This is because headlamps have a much larger area of light than sidelights do.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I would classify rain as reduced visibility and therefore lights required. The number of cars which were virtually invisible in the heavy rain and spray yesterday shocked me. It was obvious that rear lights made an enormous difference to the vehicle's visibility.
Think I will go out and check the wicks on my daylight running lanterns ! Rolleyes
Dave Mann's comment brought back memories.
In the early 1950s we used to journey nearly every weekend to visit aging and ailing granparents 60 miles away, usually returning in the dark. My father's pet complaint was following traffic esp with undipped lights. Any light on the screen and with 18w lamps and no white edge on the then narrow road very hard to see.
When I took over the car still quite a lot of traffic at much the same speed. I used to deliberately slow so cars would overtake and I could follow them  and see!
Our RP was sold here as a de luxe with leather etc but never had a sunroof. Were rear blinds fitted to any originally?
(25-09-2019, 06:01 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I would classify rain as reduced visibility and therefore lights required. 

But the law says lights required in seriously reduced visibility, not just reduced.
Duncan, are you suggesting that, if I have my wipers on intermittent setting, then my lights should flash on and off in unison!  Tongue
Yes, with the bowler at on the radiator jumping down and up in that order and a flower on a spring popping out of the filler neck!
On a serious note, if your 7 is equipped with an alternator it is probably a good idea to run with dipped heads and rear lights at all times in the southern European / Scandinavian mode. Anything that aids visibility of a slow moving obstruction with modern traffic and drivers has to be a help. Many modern cars have lights wired so that when the ignition is off the lights go out which would be a simple fix with a suitable relay.