The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
black art of ‘Bow front axles’ - Special GN312
Fantastic many thanks Ian for the details, just what I was looking for ... I'll certainly keep in mind the castor angle...
Now off to find myself a bowed axle, ideal time to do so as she's all in parts...

Thanks for the other comments, the DOR and C suffix we're advised by the clubs DVLA representative... Personally also seen GN**** numbers ... was told she came down from Scotland but could also be so wrong...

cheers
Matt

Been told by a couple of different people, London registration October 1930 .... however no idea where they get their info from ...

cheers
Matt
I have had good service from this co   https://www.jones-springs.co.uk/vintage-car-springs

Austin seven springs currently £130 each, for front or rear. They will make them to whatever camber you want, same price.

Recently heard of a member paying £650 for 3 springs, ouch!
Matt photo of dropped axle (done by Ian Dunford at the time) and home made drop plates it also has a brake tie rod as hydraulic brake are fitted, there is a wedge on top the spring as the chassis had very little castor built in. The radius arm ball joint is dropped to match the 6 degrees of castor.    Terry.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

"....the 750 Companion will give you a very good overview and is still available. However some of the advice is rather barbaric and somewhat dated."
A good summing up! One gets the impression that some of the work was propably carried out at night, in the rain, under a flickering gas lamp. Rather like selling a car in the 1950s/60s; a quick coat of brushed-on Valspar; pop it in the paper to appear on a preferably rainy, dark evening and bobs your uncle, it looked superb...
haa haa I have the book and as they say its a collection of published articles... great reference but ... personally think there are so many tried and tested cars out there, just need to pull it all together :-)

Fantastic looking car Terry ... any build tread or info online ?

cheers
Matt
(24-09-2019, 07:17 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: And Ruairidh does a very good job as the one I have here that he did confirms.

Steve

Thank you Steve, here are some examples for those interested:

Am I right in thinking that they end up a tad shorter than an original sports axle? Also do the tapered holes for the shock absorber mounting bolts stay round?
We loose about 1/4" in width Lance - mainly as it cools.

The tapered holes are suitable plugged, to ensure they are not deformed.