The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby mk2 block removal in situ ?
I did that in my youth Bob; a simple block and tackle makes light work of an engine lift.
I have routinely removed and refitted the block from engines that are still fitted in the car - the job is straight forward in my experience, if you understand all that is involved. It is also very much easier if the car is lifted up into the air.

I think however, that if it was the first time I was attempting it, I would be inclined to remove the whole engine and get my head around it all.

Having said that, many years ago I removed and refitted the block from an 850cc mini from the top, because the experts said it could and should not be done.
I once stopped at a small village garage for petrol in my box saloon. The old guy who served me showed me hideous scars on the fingers of both his hands and warned me that if I ever removed or refitted the block with the engine in the car, to make sure that the battery was disconnected. When refitting and jiggling about with the piston rings he nudged the starter cable with his left forearm. DISCONNECT the battery, or better still, do as others have advised and remove the engine, it's much easier all round!
I have seen this happen whilst lancing the oil jets - it gets hot very quickly!
A Senior Member writes; Might I propose that there is an age line. Below a certain age, athletic young chaps disport themselves about the motor car, able to reach and fix anything still bolted in place. Beyond a certain number of years, almost anything other than a head gasket change requires the use of that most helpful piece of kit, the chain or pulley block.  Mind you, I always took the engine out when I was in my forties, though that was so long ago perhaps the chain block had yet to be invented.