The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
kingpin greasing improvements?
Have just read an old forum thread, one tip being screwing a 5/16 grease nipple direct into the top of the kingpin, I wondered whether (having also been researching buying new brass plugs) anyone has devised a good seal to do away with the brass plug permanently? I was wondering about a sugru/silicone seal "plug" around the grease nipple to give a seal, but be easily removeable? But others may have found good solutions so eager to hear...
Don't use grease. Use heavy oil (140 oil works well). Completely clear the pins of grease and fill it to the top with the oil. Refit the brass plug. With Girling pins, fill as above before fitting the top Welch plug. A small flip top oiler fitted into the grease nipple hole makes periodic topping up via an oil can easy.

Steve
The brass top to my O/s kingpin did a runner when out today (27/28 car) In the parts list (353p) the "Plug" BL48 is not illustrated (available from suppliers!), but there is a mysterious (to me!) Axle pin cover BL13 & then Bennett oiler, or screw on or autoram grease nipples. What is this axle pin cover (& why?)
The 1929 parts list 670B picture shows BL 48 as a small 'pin' ?  but calls it a 'Plug' ??

I believe the 'brass' screw in plug for above the kingpin is in fact BL 45 - which is unfortunately not pictured.

I see that at least one supplier has the 'brass' screw in plug listed (I think incorrectly) as BL 48.

I would suggest BL 13 is for the earlier stub axle which apparently can be fitted with an oiler.
ok, so these things, Steve?
Planning overhauled axle so working afresh.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Qty10-NICKEL-...0005.m1851

Would also be interested to know who uses plumbers brass plugs rather than the Austin-type version. I can see that having a different opening mechanism might be easier to prevent damage when opening after a period?
Might not BL45 be the slotted screw in plug on the hub? Similar to BO 78 (also not illustrated!) on the rear hub?

By 670B Nov 1928 (Chassis 89501on) that BL48 (which does look like a pin, not at all like my missing brass screwed plug) has appeared. 
353p is July 1928.(Car no's A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6 or CHA1). Mine is an A5
I will order brass screw in "BL48" !
Hi Jon
I've just redone the kingpins on my semi Girling hubs and filled a spare grease gun with EP 90 which squirted in via the standard 5/16 BSF nipple quite happily.
David you are correct - my mistake - BL 45 is of course the steel hub greaser plug. BL 48 is the brass screw in plug.
Maybe the illustration is intended to show a side on view  Big Grin
BL 48 on order! Now to stop it undoing itself!
brass screw in plugs from Toolstation are about a quid by the way. But not sure that they will have same effect... i.e. they will mean a lot of grease stored above the end of kingpin.

UPDATE - don't believe all you read in past threads!
I bought a 1/2" plumbers plug which is BSP which I can confirm is NOT the same as the 1/2" on the brass screw in plug. Can anyone confirm what the proper item thread is?