The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ruby mk2 spark plugs ?
I found hotter projected nose plugs helped on a car which burnt a bit of oil.

However I would normally suggest Alans original advice of fitting B5HS is the way to go.
Black Art Enthusiast
Yes,, long nose is what he meant, and L87Y was the plug.
Please forgive a slightly sideways diversion on the subject of sparks.
Quite the opposite of putting the spark down as deep as possible into the combustion chamber, the snaps show a way of raising it. The example came from a large six cylinder Crossley years ago, whose then owner had not got round to dealing with sloppy rings and therefore much oil coming up round the pistons. His answer was to put on what I've called barrels, to raise the plug above the swirling oil and get a clean spark. Long since removed by the current proud owner, but we are having challenges finding out what they were officially called and how long ago they were offered for sale. Round the barrel reads "AC type B  Made in England"  
No matter how arcane the subject, this forum will always produce an answer, well always has done so far. The white background has nothing to do with table napkins in the café where this vital  historical matters were discussed this morning, good lord no.    

On the same theme I do not recall mention of long reach plugs until the 1960s. The huge majority of plugs were not. There must be some reason why not almost universal earlier. Perhaps the large number of s.v engines brought risk of valve contact with many so the type was generally avoided.
From daily observation with my Seven I reckon plug gap effectively alters the spark advance The very recessed plug would certainly alter combustion.
            Steve, now that is interesting.I took a set of these out of one of my Sevens years ago, couldn’t see the point of them.This forum is great for learning and exchanging ideas.
These are still available  https://www.autozone.com/ignition-tune-u...non-fouler
called a sparkplug non fouler, no personal experience .
These were certainly still commonplace in the 1990s when I was using a Seven as my only transport - very effective they were too.
They might help help oil fouling but most certainly don't help flame travel, I guess that is of little consequence if your engine is so bad that you need them.
Black Art Enthusiast
When I put my car back on the road in 1999 without having removed the head - it had been laid-up for 20 years - the local PWA7C club president Vic Wilde lent me a set of these - he called them plug extenders. This allowed the engine to run well enough for the first few hundred miles without oiling up the plugs. They have not been needed since.

Colin
Many thanks to all for the expected detective work. Not sure that I believe everything, by that I don't mean the comments but mean the offer of  "free next day delivery" from Memphis to Abergavenny, neither from Tennessee nor just up the Nile. I share the sense of wonder that a poor little 6 volt spark could find its way down to the combustion chamber but as suggested, any engine that needs them is unlikely to be warming up the rear tyres on starts. If a certain distinguished person was still using them in the 90s maybe Ian Dunford still has a box in stock hidden away somewhere. Let's see if any can be spotted in the paddock at Prescott on Saturday, highly unlikely I think!