The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nosepieces and shackles
Tony , John Bowring says in his front end article 1 on the club's website, that the set nosepiece caster angle for spring mounting is fixed at 3 to 5 degrees. Caster is further adjusted after final assembly of the front end to achieve 5 to 7 degrees.  regards  Russell
(19-09-2019, 11:06 PM)squeak Wrote: Tony , John Bowring says in his front end article 1 on the club's website, that the set nosepiece caster angle for spring mounting is fixed at 3 to 5 degrees. Caster is further adjusted after final assembly of the front end to achieve 5 to 7 degrees.  regards  Russell

Link to the article please?
http://www.austin7club.org/How%20To%206.htm

In case the link doesn't work that is the austin seven club of Melbourne website, technical page
Thanks Russell - the Companion shows two figures- 9 degrees (too much) and 5 degrees caster. 

I would think that anything more than 1 degree will improve directional stability but too much makes the steering heavier.

With the early axle the radius arms can be easily twisted to set - later two bolt fixing arms are more tricky. 

All angles are dependent on loaded angle of the chassis- high at the rear reduces the angle.
Now been able to measure the castor angle and it is a somewhat excessive 8.4 . So next I think i'll take the axle to pieces and see what condition the nosepiece is in before deciding on the next step.
There are a number of good bits of information on nosepieces and castor. This thread has a good title so asking this here! The Bowring article has discussion of the returning to a good surface of the nosepiece underside which respects the angle/plane first made by Austin. http://www.austin7club.org/How%20To%206.htm

1. As someone about to investigate what could be a potentially worn nosepiece before re-assembly, is it good advice, or is there other out there? i.e for someone considering just keeping a standard spec.

2. I can see the other discussion about wedges for using combinations of non-standard parts, but not sure whether these prescriptions naturally overcome any wear in the nosepiece by bridging that area of wear?
Has anyone fitted a semi-girling front axle to a 33 chassis? Are the radius arms the same length?
Yes and yes.

Steve
You can of course fit semi girling hubs to the earlier axle and then use normal radius arms which give a bit of adjustment.
It also preserves the original"look".
It is quite good to box the earlier radius arms up for strength if you are going to be enthusiastic with the brakes.
 Also I usually weld the gaps up between the ends and the arm as the rivets can come loose with a lot of milage.
Hope that is useful.