The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nosepieces and shackles
Are chassis nosepieces all the same? Is the built in angle for castor the same on all. I have a 34 chassis fitted with a semi girling front axle and radius arms. There is quite a bit of camber which seems to be stressing the spring shackles.
The short answer to your two questions is no and no and the consequence can be as you have described. There are various solutions which I have not tried personally.
Curiously enough a flat spring on a pre Ruby chassis with Girling type axle and radius arms all just about works.

Regards,
Stuart
Would you think it feasible or even useful to make up an angled spacer to improve the angle between spring and nosepieces to stop the creaking noise? I already have a flat spacer and have a flat 3 leaf spring. Its not possible to raise the rear of the radius arms as the gearbox is quite close.
If you are happy with the spring rate and ride height then that would seem sensible, though outside my personal experience.
I have assumed from your reply that when you say there is quite a lot of camber perhaps you refer to caster angle and that the loads on the shackles are trying to twist them.

Regards,
Stuart
Indeed, caster.
Hi Folks,
I have seen a hardwood wedge between the spring and chassis in some cases, they looked to be original from the factory.
This was from at least 40 years ago when the family had five Austin Sevens to play with.
Some time ago someone mentioned that Girling radius rods on pre 1935 high chassis cars alter caster, althoough many run this set up. If so would suggest that all post 1934 low chassis radius rods differ from high chassis? Dunno if part number changed. On an unlowered early car, would expect castor to reduce?
Front springs often acquire a set and if assembled reversed can tax the shackles.
As was recently pointed out radius rods sometimes found fitted upside down.
I would and have made up metal wedges to correct the situation you describe. Many ruby chassis seem to have a fibre spring packer but I have not come across a hard wood or wedged packer that appeared to be factory, however that is not to say they did not make them.
Black Art Enthusiast
I think in previous discussions we discovered Colonial chassis had a shaped alloy spacer above the front spring but no tapered spacers were ever fitted to standard chassis.

The caster was built in at around 1 degree ?
Many thanks for your comments and advice. I'll start with measuring the castor angle. Actually although the steering is a bit heavy the car does run nice and true!