The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Molasses rust removing on a wheel
Yes Tony it does get into cavities, especially rims.   
This can be a problem "leaking" out later. This can remove new paint and primer.  
My method .
- I use rural (from cane sugar in Oz) molasses: 1 part to 4 or 5 parts water, and keep it stirred, as the molasses separates and sinks, becoming more concentrated at the bottom where it does not work as well, if at all.  I have a 500 litre vat made up which will fit a short wheelbase chassis in halfway on an angle.
- As  preparation I give the item a degrease, pressure wash, dry, and a coat of paint stripper. Wrap it in plastic kitchen film to make the strippers action last longer. 
- Molasses soak tends to remove red oxide primer and some old black paints.
- Each day, I remove the bits and pressure wash the black film off, as it hinders the action. I find one week for the worst rust. If left in too long, say a month, it can attack the metal
slightly and the metal becomes rough.  This appears to be moreso with castings and forgings.
- Give the cleaned part a wipe over or brush with diluted phosphoric acid. Let dry and the white coating  will protect it for a time. When you paint, just wipe over with wax and grease remover as normal.  It does not have to be completely removed as it is an ingredient of etch primer.
A couple of points.
- Never ever put aluminium in the mix. An A7 piston becomes unrecognisable after a couple of weeks.
- I put an old honeycomb radiator in for a couple of days, to clean out the rust.  Lovely job. (It was full of holes before)  Soldered up 22 holes after and used it for 15 years till the fan ...   But every thing I put in after that came out pinkish!!
- The mix will last a long time.  If evaporation occurs, just add more Water.
- It is safe to put your hand in for most people, but you will have the smell for a few days. The smell- same as rum.
- Wonderful fertilizer for the spent mix, but dilute it more. Environmentally safe.
Peter
The company I went to was recommended by a local A7 enthusiast and others.
CAS Coating in Bradford.
They seem to charge around £1.00 per diameter inch. I don't know if they charge more for older wheels, it does seem cheap but they seem to have a good reputation.
Thanks Duncan

A trip to Bradford may be an option when I want to get my good wheels coated.

Also thank you Spex and others.  Some useful pointers as to technique.

Cheers

Howard
I've used CAS coatings on numerous occasions for alloy wheels and they alwasy do a good job, and a fraction of the cost of other powder coaters.

Hadn't thought of using them for my spoked wheels though. Another winter project for the list.

Stuart
Stuart Bullen