The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
The chance of new crankshafts and rod etc
Let's bear in mind that the current Renault 4 shell bearings are metric anyway.
They just happen to be very close to 1.5"

Charles
        Hi Chris, this is very original.People have wanted smooth running Austin Seven engines for years.
If Tony can come up with a better product I am all for it. I don't care about having a non original crank, that's going too far.
Well if someone wants to start making those..........
Alan Fairless
Most are more or less familair with Phoenix cranks even if never seen one but the many references to others is a mystery to those not in the know. Can anyone summarise please.
If going to be cut from a billet with NC machinery the latest would not be a complication. Is there a ring of buried cap screws to hold it together?
If not going to be revved wildly life may not be increased. The rigidity would concentrate bending into crankpins.
There are some great shots on Youtube of cranks being cut from billets.
When someone mentions a Billet crank I immediately think of the type in Zeto's pictures, I was not sure exactly what Tony had in mind, but if it's one of those........!!!

PS I realise it is not.
Black Art Enthusiast
i keep looking at gene`s crank, and cant work out why its made in two parts???

i need more beer.

tony
It is too big to go in either end, Tony I think you've had too much beer!
I always presumed Laystall cranks were made in two parts so that they could be installed.
I need more beer too, but it’s like the wizard says. I believe they have a reputation for reverting to two pieces, not sure how justified this is. It doesn’t seem that difficult to me.
Alan Fairless
Fear enough.

But why not do the same as they done on the original counterballanced engines. And open up the hole in the rear end.

It's a bit like taking a part of a lathe, when you put it back on. It's never 100% in the same place.

Surely a two piece crank would be the same?

Tony.