The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
stub axle conversion standard to S.Girling?
I have a restored axle which I thought was adapted to semi-girling stubs but I realise now its converted (cut down from standard) for hydraulic backplates.
My first option is not to disturb the assembled axle, but can anyone confirm if its possible for this combination (S.G backplate, pre girling stub) to work? My gut feel is that the semi girling backplate recess will not permit the top and bottom of the standard stub axle to fit.

If that's the case then I'll just swap back to standard - but let me know if you have developed a cunning ruse...

thanks Jon
If a hydraulic backplate fits, it’s likely that a semi girling one will too. My Ulster has this set up and it’s ok. You might find you have to use the later kingpins which are shorter, other than that it should be straightforward.
Alan Fairless
Thanks Alan - re the last sentence, if I use later kingpins doesn't that mean I would be having to (change and) then use the correct stub axle anyway, or have I missed something else?
A hydraulic backplate won’t fit on an early stub axle. You have to modify it to something like the shape of a girling one. This is an easy job on a lathe. Slightly harder with a hacksaw and file. So, I think if you have stub axles that are modified to fit hydraulic backplate, then girling backplate will fit too. What I’m not sure of is if the longer kingpin will fit or if you have to use the short one to clear the backplate. It’s probably 15 years since I did the kingpins on the Ulster and I can’t remember which it has.
Alan Fairless
I've made the decision just to swap back to some standard pre-Girling stub axles. These were standard but have indeed been machined down for hydraulic kit with four bolt holes for the backplate. Still have screw brass plug at top but now unrestricted access to bottom of the kingpin.
Listed in Sales should anyone be presently trying to "upgrade" to hydraulic.