The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Propshaft fitting
Morning All,

Just about to fit my twin Hardy Spicer propshaft back into my type 65. 

I have the right nuts / bolts for it (when I find where I've put them!), but my question is, should they have spring lock washers or some other securing measure?

Thanks.

Nick
I would recommend either a nyloc nut or a spring washer. I treat the tightness of my propshaft nuts as a service item to be on the safe side.
Nick,

I use square section spring washers with 100% success so far.
I also use spring washers, in the 30odd years ive been involved with austin 7's never found one come loose.
Thanks all. Found my nuts in a bag, if you'll pardon the expression!
More to the point, also in the bag was a set of lock tab washers, but square section spring washers would be easier, so that's the way to go I think.
    And the follow up question!

Which end is forwards, the splined end or the other? (One of those, of course I'll remember which it goes back.)

Can't seem to see any decent drawings, either in the standard books or in parts books, that indicate which is the front.

Thanks.....
To the rear, on mine - the other end has the flexible coupling, so even I couldn't get it wrong!

Simon
Simon,
I suspect the splined shaft is rear pointing as it would help keep dirt out. That said mine has the identical Hardy Spicer joints at either end so would fit either way, so still unsure.
Nick
(14-10-2017, 01:31 PM)NickB Wrote: And the follow up question!

Which end is forwards, the splined end or the other? (One of those, of course I'll remember which it goes back.)

Can't seem to see any decent drawings, either in the standard books or in parts books, that indicate which is the front.

Thanks.....

This is how mine was although the nuts where only finger tight so 'who knows?'

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi. 

I have looked in Austin's Handbook 1316A which covers 1936 cars like Rubies. 

On page 42 it says:   "The front, splined end of the propellor shaft is lubricated through a hole in the tunnel on the near side just behind the gearbox.  A small leather flap covers the hole. Grease should be applied through the grease nipple monthly."

What it doesn't mention is that you have to ease the car along a little bit until the nipple faces up and is opposite the access hole.  Monthly greasing also strikes me as a bit enthusiastic, maybe they were thinking of 10,000 miles a year usage ?

I don't know about earlier models, they may be the other way round with the splined part at the rear.