The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulic Brake Cylinders
X 2 for the grease gun trick.

Even if that doesn't work first time, pointing a welding torch at the cylinder whilst it's pressurised has always worked for me. just make sure that you're not in the firing line when the piston comes out like a 7/8" diameter steel bullet; I nearly collected a Darwin award from this when I was an apprentice -the piston ricocheted around the workshop for what seemed an age.
I can’t wait to try that.  It reminds me of when, years ago, I used to be in charge of an experimental workshop. The guys made a gun out of steel tube, an ignition coil and welding gas. I had to stop them when we started to get bullet holes in the roller doors.
Alan Fairless
I have had good results from stainless liners but [as usual] beware cowboys. Lined ones are resistant to seizure; other measures useful for cars left standing are a dehumidified garage and use of silicon brake fluid. Having said that,my next A7 build will have cables!.
Possibly Richard but the reasons not to use silicone brake fluid are legion. Just about the only thing it has going for it is flow at ultra-low temperature which is why the US military insist on using it. But it's been a while since I heard of anyone driving an Ulster at -40C...
Well, the grease gun shifted the seized pistons. The bores actually don’t look too bad. I might try them with new seals and see how I get on.
Chris, our mutual friend who says he knows a thing or two about brakes, reckons dot5 rather than silicone.
Alan Fairless
Alan, is that a trick question? DOT5 is silicone fluid...

Rather than repeat it all may I politely refer you to a few comments I wrote on brake fluid earlier in the year?

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/foru...rake+fluid
No, it’s brain fade. I think I meant dot4
Alan Fairless
Brain fade beats brake fade!....possibly....
Yeah, DOT 4 - just remember to change it every couple of years.
But dot 5.1 is high performance std fluid for abs systems
Sebring, how does that relate to Austin Sevens with Morris Minor wheel cylinders?

edit: or are you confusing DOT 5 & DOT 5.1? They are entirely different (and incompatible) materials.