The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AC PETROL PUMP FITTING
Thank you, David for taking the trouble in looking that info up and replying very helpful info.
Regards Rob
I was playing about with pumps on a bare crankcase with just a camshaft fitted recently:

my note to myself says that the best amount of pump eccentric is presented to the lever when the cam for No. 5 valve is pointing up.

I found a lever which if presented to the eccentric in other positions would slip off and jam, but if offered up to maximum eccentric - ie. lobe down, No. 5 cam up, 
looked like it would work fine and couldn't slip off when running.
Some time ago someone provided the correct and common wrong arm numbers. It would seem helpful if the post could be revived please.
After thousands of miles, including several 400 mile in a day trips, and to some very out of the way places, on my car chanced to notice that it been running on the extreme tip of the wrong arm.....
Both, Simon and Bob, think that's what's happening to mine, It's slipping off and jamming and perhaps that's why it was fitted with no gasket and operating on the tip. that being where the most wear appears
Are these levers available anywhere? Otherwise, I will have to blanc mine off and fit a SU Instead. Or perhaps a blob of a weld and grind back, could that be possible?
Bill Dixon included a couple of reference numbers on levers in this thread that work fine with his 7, so will look into that.
Going to oil change so will view from below with sump off as mentioned by Colin Wilks.
Thanks Guys Rob
I don't know what the composition of the pump arm is - I have heated and bent one a bit, looked ok but haven't used it yet.

If straightforward, then welding/brazing on an extra bit should work.

Setting up in a bare crankcase is a good way to see how things relate together.

Our spares shed sells ones with incorrect arms at a lower price than the correct ones, so I have bought one to "play" with.

One thing to look out for if you decide to mix and match: the "M" type and the "T" type have different operating systems, so the arm profiles are similar but the driven ends are different, and not interchangeable.

This will probably apply to other AC pumps.   Somewhere I came across a website that listed dozens, with exploded parts diagrams, which may be helpful.
My tiny brain is saying it was associated with Jeeps.   Annoyingly, the "M" type (the correct pump for the other car) wasn't on it.

I would find someone with a stock of pumps and root through till I found one that would do. One of my cars has an electric pump, it is fine until the battery is flat.
The wear point on the shiny arm is in an appropriate position but the degree of operation may not be correct. (the wear os no consequence)
The Rocker arm part number you want is 1524079, when fitting slide the arm up inside the crankcase to ensure you don't get it the wrong side of the cam.

PS the shorter and incorrect arm which you sometime some across is 856955
Black Art Enthusiast
FWIW: with operating face parallel to mounting face, 1524079 measures 56mm (by eye, with a tape measure) from a line drawn through the pivot centre to tip.
Thanks, chaps for this additional info. Just about make out on my lever as 856955 which Ian as pointed out as being wrong and probably the reason for mine slipping.
Let's assume a successful fitting and then not connecting the inlet/exit pipes of the pump, would you hear the pump sound in a frog-like fashion by turning the engine over with the handle as it does by operating in your hand squashing the lever back and forth?
will phone around in hope of finding a correct arm using the reference numbers kindly received.
Thanks, guys appreciate your time.
Hi, Now found another lever arm, supplied by Austineers Wiltshire the proprietor by the name of David. He took my number called me back with good news after testing it on an open engine and the relation of the lever against the cam, all this service from a man who is off on holiday tomorrow + getting ready for Beaulieu. what service.
Thank you all for great advice and reference numbers.
RPM