The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AC PETROL PUMP FITTING
Evening a7 friends, may i ask if there is a correct way of fitting these pumps. I took mine off due to leaking small amount of oil from the bottom at attachment to the engine, with the view of fitting a paper gasket. However, 1st attempt refitting with gasket it jammed, so removed refitted then wouldn't draw fuel, filter blocked . Today refitted didn't work so removed to find actuating arm broken off, pin had sheared. my question, how do you know that the cam lobe is in correct position before fitting and bolting up.
I tested above on starting handle and appeared to turn over smoothly, although maybe that first jamming had already fractured the pin. Im new to A7 so, everything i remove and put back is the first time of doing so on these cars.
The engine is a 3 bearing 36 car.
Any advice appreciated.
Regards RPM Rob
When I refitted mine, the cam lobe must have been in position to operate the pump, as I got a reassuring push against the lever. I inserted the lever and kept it tight to the side of the crank case as I raised the pump and had to push against the spring pressure to start the nuts. It strikes me that it would be good to check the cam position to ensure the pump lobe is pushing the lever. The danger of getting the lever the wrong side of the cam is evident.

Also worth noting that if you buy a new replacement pump, you may need to change the spring from your old one, or suffer the dripping petrol issue regularly raised here.
Thanks, Nick. wished i could be sure. However, at no time have I had to push against resistance when fitting there's a thought. Oh yes, I have the dripping carb on turning off engine only couple drips but that hot exhaust right below another problem to deal with.
Cheers Nick .
rob
There are different arms available for the later larger pumps commonly fitted to all. Some arms do not or barely make contact and can slip behind the cam. Someone will have the correct part number (assuming not bent).
I too am new to Sevens. One of the first jobs I had to do was remove the camshaft to replace a broken timing gear. This involved modifying the front bush in order to position the shaft correctly fore and aft and to set the endfloat for the new gear. I installed the fuel pump whilst the sump and gauze were off and noticed it is possible for the camshaft to end up quite a long way off having the lobes central to the followers and this meant the actuating lever for the fuel pump could end up perilously close to the edge of its cam lobe.

If you've left some of the broken lever on the sump gauze now is the opportunity to have a good look from below at the new pump arm as you install it afresh! Seeing what's going on certainly helped me to visualise things when swapping the pump out on another Seven.
For the T type pump the arm is 856955. I use this on a 2 bearing crank,but would think the 3 bearing has the same cam shaft.

Just checked another pump arm and it is numbered 1524079, this also works ok,so this could be yet another post that runs a while.
Thanks all.
Colin, Thankfully only the pin that holds the lever snapped, but good advice in looking from sump aspect. Im gonig to post a picture of my lever which i think is worn but need others to tell me to what extent. Think I need another lever if anyone has one that i could purchase.
Bill also thanks for the reference number cant read mine all a bit rubbed.
Regards Rob
I've never used one of these but often think one might be useful when inspecting a Seven's nether regions. Should allow you to see the orientation of the cam lobe, particularly if someone turns the engine over as you watch.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=...3306977515

Hi Guys, Advice please is my A7 ac lever all but worn out. The other lever in pic is on an old AC, type T but not an Austin Seven wrong angle. The pin on the arm Sheared whilst turning the engine over.
If this lever is knackered I'm in need of another if someone trade or private could help me or point me in the right direction. 
So many times others say don't fix what's not broken, only removed it because small oil run from the bottom which I thought I would correct with paper gasket, which turned into a pain in the Axx.
Thanks, everyone

Rob

Great little gadget Colin, I do need to get visual aspect on relation to the cam and wall of the crankcase, I'm doing something wrong when fitting. then need to sort that dangerous drip on carb. will wait till pump is ok then tackle the reason sadly no mainspring in my spare AC.
rob
Anorak time!

I have the AC Delco information book from 1962 which lists all the original pump numbers and the replacement "factory exchange "unit. For example the 1932 Seven was fitted with 856728(M) with the FX version 7950221 - this replacement had a priming lever fitted! This was not fitted on any of  the original pumps, but on all the FX ones! The FX unit fitted all models of Seven up to  1939 and was interchangeable with 856728 (M), 856841(M), 856964(T) and 7950221(U). The book does not show lever part numbers only filter gauzes, Filter gaskets (nothing for "M"!)
The side valve Reliant Regal Mk2 & 5cwt vans of 1960/61 used a different pump (7950567YD) which was unique to those Reliants. Whether it would work on an A7 camshaft....who knows? Nothing earlier than 1961 is listed under Reliant.