The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ignition System Issue ???
Having had my Ruby engine rebuilt, I now need to run it,( but independent of the cars ignition system), what do I need to wire up to run it ??? Huh

So far the battery is in its Battery box, and earthed to the body, I've put an extra earth lead from the head to the body too. I've got a Live feed with on/off switch to the + (plus)
side of the coil, and a wire from the - (negative) terminal of the coil to the condenser/dizzy. do I need to run an earth wire to the same - terminal on the coil too ?
Looked at basic ignition systems on google, bur car still won't run, what have I forgotten ????  Confused
Do you have a spark at a plug when you turn it over?

If so, then the the ignition circuit is ok.

The timing might be wrong, or fuel not being supplied.
The coil earths through the points in the distributor. If you fit an earth lead to that side of the coil, the car will never run!
1. Are you negative earth? coils don't like being run the wrong way round.
2. With the ignition on, flick the points in the distributor and make sure you have a small blue spark across the points. Connect the main HT lead to the coil and hold it about 1/2 inch from the cylinder head. Flick the points and a fat blue spark should jump from the HT lead to the head.
3. If all is well, check the distributor cap for cracks and to make sure the carbon brush in the top is free (it should be able to push it in and it should then spring out again) Check the rotor arm for cracks and ensure that the brass contact is clean.
4. I presume the engine is timed correctly. To check, remove all the spark plugs except No1. Turn the engine over with the handle until compression is felt. . remove No1 spark plug and turn the engine a bit further with a screwdriver down the plug hole so that you can feel when the piston comes to TDC. Get the piston to TDC and set the distributor so that the points are just opening (the distributor goes clockwise) Fit the rotor arm and note which plug lead contact it points to in the distributor cap. That will be No1 Refit the plug leads to the cap in the order 1342 clockwise.

If all that is in order, it should start and run.
Hi Guys, Earth is Negative, Have tried two coils, a brand new one and the old one, (10years oldish ??) the new one seems to get quite hot after about 5-6mins when live?
I know they warm up, but this seems excessive?, and the 'old one' when wired up as described in my OP seems to get very hot at the - (negative terminal ) ?? ps both coils are marked - & +, not CB and IG, timing is OK, & cannot do screwdriver check as Ricardo Head, has plug hole over valves, running 1342, Dizzy cap brand new, and crack free. run out of ideas? now looking at carb ???, fuel pump rebuilt, and working fine.
What do you mean when you say 'still won't run'?
- will it crank over on the starter?
- is it firing at all?
- are you getting a spark at the plugs?
Hmm, It is difficult to diagnose at a distance, but, if you have fuel to the carb, and you are sure that you have a good spark at the plugs and it is occurring at the right time, the engine should run. Have you got compression? A common fault on newly rebuilt engines is tight tappets. (been there, done that!) 3 -4 thou inlet, 5-6 thou exhaust.
Hi Guys, will be away for a few days, on my return will double check timing, via valve chest cover, as timing marks on f/wheel have been re-marked by the engine builder??
Have a spare carb thats going for a re-build + fit new condenser. after that if it still won't run right, its back to the e/builder !!!!!
Hello
Probably the best idea is to get on of us to pop in and have a look.
I am in Staffordshire so not sure if that’s anywhere near.
Regards
Tim
Same question again: do you have a spark on a plug?
I would echo David Stepney’s advice at point 2. above. I had trouble starting my engine even though it showed a fat spark at the plug. Nick Turley recommended rattling the points (flicking them open rapidly to emulate what they do in real life) and observing the spark between the main lead and a head bolt). This showed the sparks dying away after only a few repetitions and was rectified by fitting a new condenser.

As an aside, why are you trying to start the engine with a lash up wiring set up? It doesn’t sound like the car is ready to drive and running the engine with no load will glaze the bores after a few minutes, which will prevent the rings bedding in and sealing correctly. I remember my Dad running in cars in the old days when the rule was to work it but not allow it to labour, and don’t leave it it ticking over.