The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery availability in OZ
I have a serious problem.
I have just been told that the 6v battery that fits in the early floor well is a discontinued size in Australia. I received two duds that wou;d not hold a charge overnight before they told me! The battery is made in Indonesia or the The Philipines, and is sold under most brands here in Queensland.  The battery  also fits a 6v VW, and MGB with two batteries. I cannot find another manufacturer.  Does anyone know of one? So far, the option is to go to 12v, which I wish to avoid, as I use the battery in more than one car.
All thoughts appreciated.
Peter
BDS in Melbourne just supplied me with a new 6 Volt Austin 7 (and MG) battery- I will check with him on Monday.
Thanks Tony
Cheers,Peter
Hi Peter, I just bought one yesterday from battery world. It's marked century and was just over $150. The generic code is 03 and you have to grind the bottom hold down  lugs off the battery to fit the chummy floor pan. It fits the ruby with no mods.  regards  Russell
Thanks Russell
Further and a discovery.
I got two from different sources here, and both were bad.
One was replaced and the replacement is Ok. "it was sourced from a different supplier".  The other has gone back "for evaliation", to see if I get a refund. I have just taken out the good one to change it to another vehicle and lo and behold there is a small sticker on one end that says Made in Fiji.  Nice new looking factory on Giggle. Bolt is their brand, possibly sold in NZ.  The case is 5mm or so longer at 185mm, so is it the same as yours Russell? Or Tony?
Cheers, Peter
I have bought 6 volt batterys from BDS regularly over ten years at around A$100-110 each.

Recently I bought the last one from his 'old' stock for A$100 which turned out to have a dead cell so he got in some new stock a few days later which looked much better than the old stock battery.

Of course he gave me the replacement battery at no charge.

Unfortunately with it installed I can't see the side label. The top has a round label 'Made to ISO 9001' and No 3 and 80 minutes stenciled in red.

The othr cars have older 6 volt batteries from BDS and are marked differently on top with labels No 3 CCA270 and RC 80.

All batteries are the same size and fit the 1929 (oops) Saloon (Chummy) standard battery box nicely.
Thank you Tony,
The good battery (and none of the others or any previous old ones in my collection) have those markings , although 03 is on some labels and is the model number.
I think there are other manufacturers about.  I  paid $150 for these. $100 would be a nicer figure.  The stiuck on label means nothing as to brand. I feel yours is of different manufacture again.
Thanks for taking the time to look.
Cheers, Peter