The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW brake drums
hi all,

Thought I'd announce today we have pre girling brake drums back in stock.

Thanks to hedd Jones, we have another foundry to use.

But with pleasure there always comes PAIN.

The new rough casting is now costing us £40 a drum. Also over the last couple of years the machining costs have rissen a little. We had a small number of casting failures. So that lose also has to be added to the good finished drums.

Currently the price for new drums is £90.00 each. On our website. This was from the last production two years ago.

I don't like big price hikes, so although the price could do with being £120 each. To cover sensible profit margins. I'm going to keep them at £100 each. (For the time being).

If you see me throwing these at people at beaulieu,  Big Grin It's in reply to the sucking of tongues. After all my efforts to give everyone the chance of good brakes on there cars.

Orders being taken for beaulieu.

I will also be manufacturing girling brake drums again over the next two months, if you are interested. Please keep in mind we are having to have a new pattern made. As Coventry casting lost the old one. A new pattern is £800 and has to be covered in the cost of the new drums.

any feedback is always welcomed.

Tony.
Interested!!!
Well done, Tony. I know what a nightmare it can be trying to deal with a foundry and small, one-off runs that get in the way of their order for 6 million Ford Focus bits....
That's great news Tony. I'm well aware that you have to take a very long term view to justify these investments. I reckon these prices compare favourably with modern car parts prices, not to mention more exotic pre-war cars.

Peter.
Pretty decent price I’d say even at £120 each.
Just my opinion but, I fitted a full set of Tony's first run of pre-Girling cast iron brake drums to my AD chummy; this combined with woven hi friction linings transformed the braking. Money well spent and never regretted.
Good news. I made up a little brass 7" stick for measuring IDs of drums - it really makes you realise the wear on seemingly good looking drums...
I can put you onto a competitive patternmaker too Tony. Your new foundry works with one, but there are others I can pass details of.
Thank you all so far.

Good idea jonE, but make sure the stick is thin enough to get to the centre of the drum face. That's were the maximum wear is.

Shoes do NOT wear all the way out to the outer edge.

Then allow for ovality, For how much will actually have to be machined out.

Then allow for anything you put on a lathe, will NEVER pick up the same centre it was made on.

It's all good fun.

Tony.
Tony, I'm looking for at least one pair of girling drums. I have semi girling on the Rep and I'm told that means girling drums. My rear ones have quite high spots and I'm concerned I may have to take too much off to make them round. I suppose oblong shoes might solve the issue, but I'm not skilled enough to make something like that work.;-)

Erich in Seattle