The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
radius arm lowering
What ho chaps

Has anyone any photos showing the lowering of the radius arms and the new locations please. I understand with a bowed front axle on an "Ulster" body/chassis (a Rod Yates body) then requires lowered radius arms.

Any assistance will be gratefully received.

Many thanks

regards

Arthur

Me again!

I tried putting various terms into the search box to no avail. I've noticed that there were posts on radius arm lowering on the old Bravenet forum, but I can't find here on the new forum?

Am I just plain stupid/daft?!

regards

Arthur
Hello Arthur..

Probably worth stepping up for a copy of Chris Goulds " Guide to Building Reproduction Austin Ulsters" a very useful reference.

Other than that these two shots may be of some help.. although I think the exaggerated bow of the spring goes someway to compromising its effectiveness.

(10-10-2017, 04:18 PM)Albert S Wrote: Hello Arthur..

Probably worth stepping up for a copy of Chris Goulds " Guide to Building Reproduction Austin Ulsters" a very useful reference.

Other than that these two shots may be of some help.. although I think the exaggerated bow of the spring goes someway to compromising its effectiveness.

Excellent, thanks for the photo. I have Chris Gould's book and he shows a method, however, I'm using a Ruby chassis which has 2 bolt holes per side. I can't quite see how those pieces in the first photo bolt/fix to the radius arm though.

regards

Arthur
Arthur - from your description you currently have a Girling front axle which could be adapted as per Albert's photos using earlier Austin radius arms. I am not aware that the Girling radius arms can be adapted in the same way.

In short, if you replace the Girling radius arms for Austin ones you can fit the castings shown above.
(10-10-2017, 07:35 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Arthur - from your description you currently have a Girling front axle which could be adapted as per Albert's photos using earlier Austin radius arms.  I am not aware that the Girling radius arms can be adapted in the same way.

In short, if you replace the Girling radius arms for Austin ones you can fit the castings shown above.

I did wonder about this. Today I took one radius arm off the axle and it came off the cleanly and easily. I moved to the LH one and it appeared somewhat solid. I tried shocking it from the rear and gently (!) striking it from the front, and the thread snapped off the stud. Clearly I now need to heat the axle to knock it out. fortunately we have oxy/acetylene, so it should knock out. 

Being a Ruby chassis, the radius arms locate at 2 points, the large hole (not measured the diameter yet) and the hole above.

I've made enquiries about a replacement LH radius arm, but as you mention, might I better to get earlier arms?

I'm concerned about getting this wrong even with lowered adaptors as this will upset the castor angle.

Who sells those castings anyway?

This is my first foray into vintage metal, and |I ought to have known better...if in doubt, use heat....chap next door to me is a blacksmith!

Many thanks for your input.

regards

Arthur
(10-10-2017, 08:19 PM)merlinart Wrote: Who sells those castings anyway?

I have bought a number of sets over the years from John Barlow, David Cochrane and Tony Betts, there may well be others who can provide them as well.

You will need to de-rivet a set of Austin radius arms to fit the lowered ends.

An alternative method of lowering these parts is described on page 17 of Chris Gould's book.
Bills car appears to be fitted with Girling type radius Arms Arthur, you are in luck!
Hi chaps,

For comparison, here's how my '36 Ruby chassis looks:

.jpg   IMG_5362,700piz, A.jpg (Size: 159.56 KB / Downloads: 354)

.jpg   IMGP0336A, 700pix.jpg (Size: 157.76 KB / Downloads: 352)

Bill
Those photos are very good, many thanks. I read Chris Gould's book on this subject, not so sure I like the idea but it looks OK here.

I saw David Cochrane's adaptors on his website.

Basically you are suggesting that I need to dispense with the later Ruby arms I have and replace with earlier ones?

I don't know of John Barlow...who is he?

I'm learning all the time!

regards

Arthur
You have the choice of doing that or copying Bill's car Arthur.

John Barlow's site is here: http://www.austin7spares.co.uk