The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Law
Is it illegal to carry a ten year old child in the back seat of a Ruby with no seat belts.

Thanks Graham
 in Sheffield
Not as far as I know. The daily school run in the RP would be a problem if it was!

My understanding is that if the car doesn't require seat belts, passengers of whatever variety don't have to wear them - but don't take that as gospel.
Mmm! This is really clear !

https://www.premiercarriage.co.uk/faq/ne...ter-seats/
As far as I can remember the requirement for wearing seatbelts front or rear comes from the wearing of seatbelts regulations 1986. An Austin Seven, Ruby or otherwise falls outwith this legislation as there is no requirements for seatbelts (front or rear) in any vehicle used before 1965.

However there is an argument that if they have been retrofitted then they should be used. The legal responsability for ensuring that a child passenger complies falls on the driver. Hope that helps.
"heated and cooled filaments and massaging facilities", not sure that 6v electrics could provide those in a Ruby. What with back seat massaging and certain knobbly rubber brings elsewhere in the forum, I fear today's high temperatures have caused a great deal of ooh matron comments. Cold showers, everyone.
This looks relevant to the question:

https://www.gov.uk/seat-belts-law/if-you...seat-belts

Quote:

"If your vehicle doesn’t have seat belts, for example it’s a classic car, you aren’t allowed to carry any children under 3 years old in it.

Children over 3 are only allowed to sit in the back seats.

These rules only apply if your vehicle was originally made without seat belts."
(25-08-2019, 07:53 PM)rubyman Wrote: Is it illegal to carry a ten year old child in the back seat of a Ruby with no seat belts.

Thanks Graham
 in Sheffield

It is not Graham - however, our philosophy has always been to be very aware of the fact they are not belted in, check everyone (with responsibility for them) is happy for them to be driven is such a way , drive on sensible roads and be very aware that they are not in a Volvo.

Enjoy, they will!
Indeed the law is one thing but the demise of someone's little angel in such a situation would not only haunt the driver for evermore but could cause shock waves we all would feel.
The main purpose of rear seat belts has to be to prevent the back seat passengers killing the front seat occupants in the event of a high speed frontal impact. As this is probably not a great issue in relation to stationary objects, just try to avoid the idiot coming towards you and you should be ok. I am guessing it is illegal to carry small children in the front though?
Thanks for all replies, why I asked the question, hopefully running my grandson to his wedding, in the Ruby and his ten year old son from a previous marriage is the best man  Wink