The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Puncture
Yes it has, but I’ve been involved in tyre pressure monitored cars for nearly 20 years. In that time I’ve experienced as many if not more false indications as genuine low pressures. The danger is the light comes on and you think oh, another false reading, not I must stop and investigate.
Alan Fairless
(26-08-2019, 09:34 PM)Alan Wrote: Yes it has, but I’ve been involved in tyre pressure monitored cars for nearly 20 years. In that time I’ve experienced as many if not more false indications as genuine low pressures. The danger is the light comes on and you think  oh, another false reading, not I must stop and investigate.

I find that a calibrated thumb jabbed into the sidewall of a radial tyre gives a reasonable indication of an issue. Not a substitute for checking pressures, but a useful interim test.

Charles
Is it still possible to get a good puncture repair kit for a car tube ?

I remember the vulcanising kits of the past which were very effective.
Most tyre firms will not now repair tubes...hardly worthwhile on a cost basis and many radial tyres have very rough interiors which tend to abrade tubes and remove patches. I have laso found that traces of  rubber grease used to assist removal and fitting causes patches to lift.  (soapy water encourages rusting)
(28-08-2019, 12:54 AM)Tony Press Wrote: Is it still possible to get a good puncture repair kit for a car tube ?

I remember the vulcanising kits of the past which were very effective.

They are still sold in motor cycle emporiums, the technology is similar to motor scooters etc. Failing that, small patches, glue etc. can be obtained for push bike repairs.
For cars not equipped with tyre pressure monitoring equipment you can buy a kit on the bay of E that plugs into a 12v cigar lighter socket. The four special valve caps send a signal to the device. The screen gives a constant read out of tyre pressure at each wheel. No idea as to accuracy or reliability. Comes from the far east. Caveat emptor.
Are those emergency pumping devices still available where you take a plug out and screw in a hose that connects to the tyre valve. You run your engine and pump the tyre full of a petrol air mixture. Not sure if this is any good for the tube.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I use bicycle repair kits. Seem to work OK.
Jim
(28-08-2019, 09:06 AM)John Mason Wrote: Are those emergency pumping devices still available where you take a plug out and screw in a hose that connects to the tyre valve. You run your engine and pump the tyre full of a petrol air mixture. Not sure if this is any good for the tube.

John Mason

I bought one of these last week, it was a NOS item, not sure i will ever use it, but it will fill a space on a shelve!
JohnD. Could you please enlighten me as to where you bought it from as I would like one of these in my car tool kit. I did try one of the 12 volt pumps for emergency use but because I still run my Ruby on 6 volts it didn't run fast enough to create enough pressure.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.