The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My next adventure
Whatsapp is also available to download onto your PC. Just go to their site and download the application. Unless if course you're still using a commodore 64...? see www.whatsapp.com
Well Rekkers, I’ve given it a few days thinking you might come to your senses and find some feeble excuse not to go, but you’ve stuck with it, so may I wish you a happy and trouble free trip.

As you are going on a pilgrimage, don’t forget your rosary, you may need it!
The car and I are both ready. I've checked it over from front to back and everything is shipshape and Bristol fashion. I'm reluctant to do any more fiddling as Sod's Law dictates that I'll bugger something up. I've got plenty of spares and tools on board and just need to chuck in my luggage and a flask and we're all set.
I'm still waiting for a very nice man in China to send me a 6v to 12v step up converter so I can power uo the GPS and my phone whilst on the move, but if not I will resort to the paper option and look at a map.

My first day's run is reasonably long, so I can get as near to the Pyrennees as possible for day 2. It means a run of 260 miles but I shall be keeping to the coastal plain and flat ground in order to maintain a decent average speed. It'll be a long day but I've been further than that in one go so I know it's possible.
My sat nav and phone both work fine on 6V using a cigar lighter adapter.
Jim
If you plan to actually go into Santiago Bruce we were able to park for free at the Auditorio de Galicia about 1/2Km north of the main cathedral and it seemed as safe as anywhere else. We had tickets for the evening but no-one seemed bothered. You might want a euro or two in your pocket if you wish to light a candle in the cathedral - only church I've been in where the candles are electronic and your coin buys you a 5 minute light-up!
Thanks Chris. The hotel I've booked in Santiago is only a 20 minutes on foot from the cathedral and it has a private, secure underground car park with a reserved space. There's a lot of cheap accommodation available for pilgrims that are prepared to rough it but I like the security of a decent night's kip and peace of mind for the car. Having said that, 44,40€ for a night with breakfast included isn't bad. I think I'll manage to walk the last bit.

After a bit of messing about I've finally managed to get the SatNav to fire up on 6volts through a cigar lighter charger for one of those toy helicopters. The phone however, refuses point blank to want to play and I'm reluctant to try something more drastic in case I fry it. I'll take a mains charger for the phone so I'll have a full battery every morning, and set it to power saving mode when driving.

Hopefully the chinese widget will arrive in time
The problem with the A7 dynamo arrangement is that it is pretty rough old 6 volt stuff which upsets the voltage regulator in the cigarette lighter adaptor. My old TomTom works on the 7 OK.
When off grid I've found one of these ideal. One charge should see you in the cathedral.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07PKPKM3Q/r...Y2s9dHJ1ZQ==
Thanks Colin, good call!
I'd forgotten I had one of those. Now on charge.
Good Luck Reckless.
I'm sure you will have a great time!
Keep us posted and take lots of photos.
I always get lost using a Sat Nav and use a map and note book.
Bon Voyage Smile