The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear springs
You can use the spring pin as its own puller - a short tube over the shoulder, a big washer and a nut on the shocker thread.

(I can't claim this as my idea )
It may all sound tedious but compared with any work on a modern it is a cinch. All the plastic fastenrs alone require more thought and expertise.
This is what I have

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Just looked at photo there is a grub
Screw there holding the bolt in?
That will need removing before. It
Will undo
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
I note that the scroll on the end of the spring is orientated incorrectly - I suspect that is the cause of your low stance!
And is the s.a link cracked?
Hi Duncan

I'm not too sure but I think that the backplates look to be Morris so it is possibly unlikely that there will be a hole drilled to aid the drifting out of the spring pin.  The grub screw looks to be the securing mechanism for the pin although I'm not sure I would like to rely on this to hold the pin.  I doubt that there will be a cotter but you need to find out.

I think your best bet is to strip away the shocker undo the grub screw, check that there is no cotter or other holding device and use a puller to get the pin out.

Good luck!

Cheers

Howard
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm steeling myself for a day of spanner-rash and swearing!
I think I can see the cotter nut hiding in the gloom to the right of the grease nipple.
Howard, I think you are right, the grub screw is holding the spring pin. This was not an unusal mod in racing circles to enable a quick change of rear axle . One had a selection of complete axles with different ratios. I can’t see a cotter in the hole.
This looks like an Austin Seven axle with Morris backplates.