The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulic brakes and non Girling stub axles
I’m building a special which will have hydraulic brakes.  I have them left over from many Austin Healey sprite rebuilds so I may as well use them.  However I only have non Girling stub axles.  Is there any reason I could not turn them down to fit the back plates in the same way as rear axles are done for hydraulics?  Thanks in advance Mark
Well before anyone says it can’t be done, my special has been like that for nearly 70 years.
Alan Fairless
Hi

Thanks for that, do you have any details or pictures?
Fraid not, and it’s wasnt me who did them. It doesn’t look a difficult job on a lathe however.
Alan Fairless
As said, it's quite simple if you have the know how and the right equipment.  Years back I had it done professionally for my racing Chummy, as there's no hope dumb me could ever do it.  You'll also need the dust shield/backing plates to complete the job as I imagine the Sprite gear is slightly larger.  If you need a couple of correct cast backing plates complete with the Girling bits incl shoes, let me know on ausevenoz@gmail.com  Cheers,  Bill in Oz
It's not hard if your lathe is big enough

Charles
Thanks for the posts. Charles, you have just confirmed my cva lathe is large enough for the axle as it’s the same as yours. Presume the process for the front stubs is the same, just turn down to 4”

Bill, sprite brakes are only 7” and expect similar to Morris minor etc. However it had crossed my mind to convert to knock off wheels and maybe use Morris minor 8” brakes. Has anyone converted to knock off hubs and if so how?

Mark
(21-08-2019, 12:51 PM)sebring115 Wrote: Thanks for the posts.  Charles, you have just confirmed my cva lathe is large enough for the axle as it’s the same as yours.  Presume the process for the front stubs is the same, just turn down to 4”

Bill, sprite brakes are only 7” and expect similar to Morris minor etc.  However it had crossed my mind to convert to knock off wheels and maybe use Morris minor 8” brakes.  Has anyone converted to knock off hubs and if so how?

Mark

I used the later semi Girling stub axles at the front. It's easy to swap.
On the rear I turned them down and then sliced the flats with an angle grinder. Couldn't be arsed to set it up in the mill for a dimension that doesn't matter too much. The angle matters and the bolt hole positions are important.

If you put bigger brakes on the king pins will become the weakest link

Charles