The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
dipstick and a water drain question
as I go thru my '35 Pearl, I am always a bit surprised at what I find (or don't find).  I don't seem to have a dipstick...and David Cochrane catalog says they're out of stock...what to do, what to do?  Does anyone have one laying around that I could get?

I discovered this as I was looking for a water drain cock for the engine block.  Couldn't find one.  Is there a separate drain cock for the block?  I drained the radiator using that drain cock, but (at least my experience with U.S. cars, there always was another drain.  

As always any help is always appreciated!!!
Cheers, Steve
If you drain the radiator you'll also fully drain the block.

Steve
Perhaps Tony Leslie at Holmesdale Sevens for a nice dipstick?
Thanks...you always know you can count on a Steve!

thanks!  I'll give him a try

I suppose I could obtain an aftermarket dipstick, drain the oil, add the recommended amount of oil and cut the aftermarket dipstick to the proper length...not really rocket surgery Big Grin
Hi Steve - I do have dipsticks in stock - I was a bit surprised to find that they're showing OOS as I thought that I had asked for this to be changed... They're £9.20 each.

Cheers, David
That's brilliant!  Please send one & charge the card you have on file

Cheers, Steve
well...Prestone flush and boiling water did the trick on eliminating a lot of the gunk in the block/head and radiator. didn't dissemble anything else. Now to get the hoses on (grrr no room to work the stiff hoses, already used a good bit of WD40...gonna try heating the hose ends with either hair dryer or heat gun and muscle 'em in).

Thanks for all the excellent advice! Steve
I use a thin smear of silicone on the inside of the hoses. It helps to ease the rubber over the ridge on the water branches and guarantees a watertight seal when tightening the hose clips. I fit the hoses to the radiator first and then to the engine. The bottom hose can be a pain, but persevere!
I find a smear of washing up liquid on the inside of the hose helps in getting them on with ease with no damage to either hose or water branch.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
thanks to all for your advice and moral support!  Got the hoses on finally (heat gun, lubricant, missing skin)...a pain.  And I've ordered the dipstick from David Cochrane, so I'm good to go with these two issues....on to other fun stuff!!!  Steve