The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Vacuum Wiper - How to connect to inlet manifold, where to put the vacuum pipe
Picture below:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's excactly what I have been looking for. Thank you very much.
What would be the English term for this screw? Just want to know to hopefully find this thing.
Frank
Frank if there is no connection on the manifold, the manifold could be from a later car which had an electric wiper motor. Whilst the vacuum wipers work quite well on earlier cars with the 22FZB updraught carburettor they do not work well with the RP saloon 26Va carburettor.
That's an interesting comment, because my car was first registered in July or August (not quite sure at the moment about the precise date). Mike Jarrett (Jarrett Motor Services, Horley) who restored the car in the early 90's fitted the electric motor because it was on the car before and because we did not want to change a running system and - that what was he said - it was very likely that the very late RPs were equipped with the electric motor. The body nevertheless has the large cut out above the windscreen to fit the vacuum type. I also wanted to contact Mike Jarrett to ask for details, now after I have focussed on the matter, but have not found his address anywhere.
My focus is on originality, I do not use the car in bad weather conditions and German MOT (TÜV) has accepted many weaknesses of my Austin Seven as long as it is original and basically safe.
Best regards
Frank
Sadly, the brass band that holds the whole thing together is cracked on mine across the Lucas logo. Anyone got a spare one?

Wont work on the autobahn, or anywhere else not downhill! 
Off hand I cannot confirm if all exactly correct but hopefully someone will.
 Lever for hand assistance essential. I am not sure if all had originally.
Frank.

Herewith a couple of photos of the manifold on an RP. The Wiper vacuum takeoff can be seen just behind the carburettor. (Mine is sealed off with a blob of braze!)

Hello David,
thank you very much for these brilliant photos. Does the original opening in the body still exist? 
Thanks once again.
Frank
Good evening Frank.

If you are referring to the drilling in the top of the manifold behind the carburettor, then yes it does. The take-off for the vacuum hose is a small piece of brass tube that is a good push fit into it. On my car, the end of the brass tube has been sealed with a blob of braze as I have an electric wiper motor.

My own RP is a very original 'matching numbers' car that was restored by the previous owner about 50 years ago. It is fitted with a period Bosch wiper motor which works enthusiastically. Given the weather here in Britain (and especially Wales!), I am very glad it does.
Hello David,
due to your brilliant photos, I do now know where the whole "process" starts. The only question that keeps me from drilling useless holes into my car's body is where precisely the rubber hose disappears into the body. Beneath the glove box... well... yes, but as a rivet counter, I would like to drill the necessary hole with highest precission possible. 
Once again thank you for any sort of information or advice.
Greetings to Wales (from the Eifel, where the weather is similar)
Frank