The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How about a woody?
There was a very nice Woody near me in the 1970s, unfortunately the owner never did anything with it, it just lay on it's side for years with the upper rear hub dismantled letting rain into the diff. The owner wanted silly money for it when I enquired and the body would have needed the services of Martin Prior, it was rotten. I later heard it was sold to somebody in Blackpool.
On the subject of wood, writing from my floating wooden home I can confirm that pretty well any timber can be steam bent successfully. The planks on our boat are 2 3/4 inch thick oak and are beautifully curved round the stern. Oak though durable is very heavy which would be a problem in an Austin 7. Ash was used for a reason. We have found that the most durable finish for handrails, capping rails etc is woodstain. We use Ronseal water based which allows the wood to breathe out trapped moisture and has worked well for us for the last 12 years (it does do what it says on the tin). Use one of the lightest shades and it should look good on a woody.
Having become intimate with A7 woodwork, Dave and I have a theory that some sort of preservative/insecticide was used on earlier cars. Generally speaking, pre-1936 timber may have some worm, but has usually failed through wet rot or stress cracking. The woodwork in Mk2 Rubies is almost invariably worm-eaten to the point of having no structural value at all.

Right, let's cut some windows in it!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Reviving an older thread. After much faffery, the Woodie comes together in a form I want; so it's very light, still very 'farm vehicle', but solid of wood and underframe despite still having 'conserved' holes in the small amount of metalwork. The Priors new wood is bare, insecticide treated and butts up to some of the old wood which is oil treated too. As it is, essentially a slatted-topped chummy special, woodwork will drain easily if it gets wet... but some future owner will no doubt add full windows (the remains exist) and varnish it which will probably take it away from the form it last 'worked' as. At present, it would indeed be good for moving sheep around! It is now starting road trials to shake out problems of a newly assembled car. The very late engine appeared unused since rebuild in Monmouth in 1955. It won't be something I can afford to hold onto now with work as it is - and is clearly a niche vehicle, so if you think of someone it might suit for the longer term, do send a message. It's most definitely not a historically important Austin, but it does have an important social history and probably is one of the few survivors of a once-common coachbuilt or kit add-on from the 40s.                         
Now that makes a pleasant change!
That is indeed a nice change from 2 seat specials. Well done! Very practical and quite handsome.
Can you post the film of you driving it Jon?
I would love to take that off your hands, Jon, but the Lancia-shaped hole in my pocket has let all the funds disappear!
I like what you've done with the roof Jon - would make a lovely 'camper van'...
Looks great Jon! We very much enjoyed doing the woodwork - something different!