The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Horns
I have a repor Rist horn on my car, a 1930 Ulster rep. I had understood from a previous post that Klaxette were also used. I have found both a Lucas Klaxon and a Klaxette in restored condition and wondering which would be appropriate for the car. The Rist definitely looks the part, but the sound doesn't quite live up to the looks.

Erich in Sunny Seattle
My RP has a Klaxette fitted but I do not know if it is an original fitment. As Austins often mixed and matched items during assembly, using what was available at the time it could well be. It does give an inspiring "warning of approach" and is used most effectively in advising that a maneuver by an errant motorist was considered ungentlemanly . I should point out that although a six volt unit it copes well on twelve volts .
Thank you for responding, Peter. I had heard that sometimes Klaxettes had been used. Can anyone else confirm this and perhaps the mounting attachment.

Erich
Hello Erich,
   here is a picture of the fitment on my replica. The front of the trumpet is level with the scuttle. This was copied from an original car. 3/8" bolt up through the scuttle with a large thick washer underneath.
    Hope this is of help.
Robert, that is very helpful for size. The Klaxette that is for sale has not mounting pieces, so I was thinking about using the Rist Repro T shaped piece. Can you provide more detail? The size looks to be the same as the Rist.

Erich in Seattle
My daughters RP had a Rist and a Klaxette. The Rist sounds the best.

Klaxettes have a single tapped hole in the body. No need for bracket
Just thought I'd add a pic of my Bosch unit, looking not dissimilar from a Rist and it sounds plenty loud enough.

.jpg   IMGP0310, 700pix.jpg (Size: 152.14 KB / Downloads: 162)

I've no knowledge however, how it found it's way into the engine bay!

Bill
Hedd, the issue I have with the Rist is that the sound on my repro in 12 volt sounds a bit like a scooter horn. I suspect it is something to do with the internal parts, though Willie has done a fantastic job on the exterior.
Yes. I have one here. They sound shit. I have a selection of pukka ones however. And a small collection of klaxettes! Im struggling to get the klaxette to sound right. Its because my battery is knackered