The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine wont crank!! Austin Ruby
Today was to be my 'maiden' driving experience after 3 years of refurbishment. Alas Ruby had other ideas.
During my pleasurable toiling I have renewed the starter motor brushes &  the resting voltage of the battery reads 6.5.

Last week the engine cranked but because their was a fuel issue it failed to start.
This week with fuel rectified (as far as I can determine) the engine won't crank. 
Battery has been recharged in the interim.

Help please.
Check the starter motor, it could be stuck. Put the starting handle in and turn, this could release it.
As above, starter motor could be stuck. If that doesn't work, undo and then re-tighten all the battery connections at either end.

Steve
Thank you for your replies.
I can confirm that the starter motor was not stuck. The pinion was not retracting from the flywheel however so I have removed it for further investigation.
The battery terminals have been removed & replaced with no improvement.
Did you remove the fuel pump for the fuel problem. If so the lever could be on wrong side stopping the engine turning over
Make sure the engine and chassis are properly earthed,

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Paul t, Have you tried a test bulb between the starter cable (where it connects to the starter motor) and earth it should light up when the ignition is switched on. Likewise connect you test bulb between a starter motor securing bolt and a battery terminal the terminal that will complete a circuit. (I can't say which one because I don't know what polarity your car is wired.) If they both light up it shows power is getting to the starter and you have an earth. Thus you need to look at the starter. If only the test lamp comes on when connected to the starter cable you fault lies with the Earth. If it only comes on when testing the earth (starter motor retaining bolt) then you have a problem with the power supply. Should it be that power is getting to the starter but no go then have a look at the switch on the top it maybe that the contact needs cleaning.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Will the engine turn on the handle? If so you can eliminate a few things, including a hydraulic lock due to leaky head gasket etc.
If  it failed to start when cranking then the pinion would not be ejected on the firing stroke and remain engaged. This of itself is not a problem, and with the starter removed you are best to follow the advice already given to prove the motor will turn manually.