The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Dipping Headlamps
Would appreciate some guidance on rigging sealed beams to a new dipswitch.

Conductors from lamps are coloured blue/red, blue/white & black. These are linked directly to the panel switch (coloured blue). Multimeter records current at each headlamp termination concurrently.

Dipswitch has three terminals.  As each headlamp appears to be wired independently (off side not powered from nearside as per original wiring diagram) then how should these be hooked up to the dipswitch?

Any assistance gratefully received. Thanks.
Need more info. Are you using a replacement loom? Later original wiring diags are for solenoid dip lamps, most of which replaced long ago. In case of RP cars the associated switch on column has a two way function but is not intended for the heavy wires or constant heavy current associated direct switching of filaments. Relays can be added but it is just another complication and departure from simplicity. Wherever the switch is placed the changeover terminal is wired to the dashboard supply, and one side terminal to the dip filaments and the other to the main beam filaments. Either two wires each directly from the dipswitch or two  single heavy wires split somewhere, as in the round terminal box.
The original lamps were only 18w each and the dynamo should not be adjusted to much more than required to balance these  or equivalent ie about 8-10 amps charge with lights off. Higher wattgae lamps should operate at a discharge. (assuming still 6v)
Hello Paul. I wouldn't consider wiring your lamps through the switch. I always use relays.

I could send you a wiring diagram and parts list if you would like to send me an email to stuart.joseph@btinternet.com

Regards from the creative county - Staffordshire

Stuart