The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tow hitch
Have been asked in the past if we can put a tow bar on a Seven and was hesitant for several reasons one of which was trailer law. Or should I say confusion/misunderstanding of the actual regulations by owners et al, me included! One of the issues is that its not the total all up weight of trailer and load actually being carried its the plated all up max weight regardless of actual load. So unbraked 750kg all up weight trailers must not be more than 50% of the car kerb weight. Does a Seven's kerb weight run to 1500kg? For a braked trailer the plated and therefore assumed by the law to be what you are towing weight could be 1000/1200kg or even more. This value could exceed the humble Sevens kerb weight, let alone the generally advised max of 85%. This 85% figure is not enshrined in law as far as I can tell just given as advise but the trailer plated weight must not exceed the cars kerb weight of the car is as far as I know.
Owners may well change trailers over time and inadvertently end up breaking the law.
Of course very light trailers say of 500kg or lighter all up weight may well be ok. Thats fine and probably as much as most Sevens can cope will!
As I observed, looking at some of the example photos posted I would be very doubtful the owners are legal. Not legal means no insurance.
Any further info which clarifies the situation would therefore be appreciated.

Regards to all,

Paul N-M
Rest assured that none of the cars in any of the photos I have posted are breaking the law Paul.

If you are unsure I would suggest that it would be better not to take on work for others in that area - I certainly would not.
The Austin 7 does not, by virtue of its age have plates defining this and that.

Simple rule (which is law). Unbraked trailer. Half kerb weight of the towing vehicle. Given the lack of plates the rozzers would be obliged to way the car as it stood.

With a braked trailer, my opinion is none of the current laws limit you to anything under 100% the kerb weight. I suspect the opinion of the beak is the only one that mattered. If you were within 85% the rozzers would have no grounds to even try and prosecute. The CPS certainly wouldn't. And the beak would certainly award you costs!
Nick,

Not sure if this helps. Photographing anything clearly underneath is a challenge. Ours doesn't have a wheel well in the boot, just a flat floor so that could complicate things for you. Making the towball itself removable would be easy enough though (just a couple of large bolts) leaving the structural bit attached.

Personally I can't imagine breaking the legal weight limits - anything over a couple of hundred kilos would be almost impossible anyway!

Peter.

Quite! 

Not suggesting anyone is actually breaking the law. Just that it would be helpful to know what the law actually is.

P N-M
Beautiful work Peter!
The law has now been mentioned, so remember that all tow bars on cars should be 'type approved'. If made before the regulations were introduced. then type approval is not needed. And the same applies to trailers.
Is that anything prior to 1st August 1998 Andrew?
When you are next asked to put a tow bar on a Seven (or anything else older for that matter), Paul, it looks as though you will have to decline unless you can provide one made before the date above.

Nick - if you are stuck I have several that were made for Rubies long before that date which you are welcome to.

I would have to make a phone call but I am sure I can find you a suitable one for a Box as well.

All’s well that ends well, thank goodness!
the law says that towbars to cars made after 1998 should be type approved.

This doesnt apply to vehicles built before 1998 or commercial vehicles