The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Oil Can Cafe
    Visiting friends in Yorkshire and went to the above as we have done for a number of years. They are now in new premises which include this...
I like the sign on the wall headed "Petrolum Spirit" I wonder if this was the beginning of when Motor Spirit changed its name to petrol which in fact was a trade name. Similar to vacuum cleaners becoming hoovers.

Incidentally Simon whereabouts in Yorkshire is thin place.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
A Chummy I've not seen or heard of for many years. When I knew it it was owned by the late Martin Shaw sharing it's home with a 1927 Alfa 22/90. It's not moved location very far since that time.

Steve
It's up in the moors above Cleckhuddersfaxmondwike...a quick goolemap will pinpoint it.
Sorry, but some of these places leave me with mixed feelings.

The positive is, if you show these things to the public. They start to take an interest.

The negative, is another chummy only for display?

And did they rearly make petrol pumps out of LOCKERS.

It probably cost as much to fake " evocate "  Big Grin Those petrol pumps. Than it would to buy the real thing.

Tony.
All too often the "real thing" gets stolen...
I hope they do take the Chummy out for a spin though
The Chummy, YW 1313 is apparently taxed until 2020 according to the DVLA database - it's also on the A7CA Chassis Register.

John, see links below regarding its new location in Washpit Mill near Holmfirth:

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/gall...8-14676746

http://thecardingshed.co.uk

(16-07-2019, 11:08 AM)Steve Jones Wrote: A Chummy I've not seen or heard of for many years. When I knew it it was owned by the late Martin Shaw sharing it's home with a 1927 Alfa 22/90. It's not moved location very far since that time.

Steve

Martin Shaw was a descendant of Ben Shaw who started a well known soft drink (pop!!) business in Huddersfield in 1871. Although by the 1990's the company had moved on, as I remember it, Martin was still involved in the drinks business bottling and selling sparkling mineral water from a local source. The soda syphon radiator mascot on his Chummy was, therefore, very suitable an appropriate. 

Steve
The cafe is attached to  Ian Kellet racing who also do a lot of restoration work so I suspect it will be properly used. You can look round the premises, there are usually a number of interesting cars for sale,  a 150 XK, Daimler Dart, MG TD (I think) plus a couple of huge American lumps. In the restoration side E type, another XK, Volvo 240, MGBs and all sorts. Also there were a wild looking hillclimbs Anglia and rather nice Mini Cooper S. Always worth a visit. Wash Pit Mill is not far from Holmfirth.