The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Research and Radio Programme
Photo 

Hi my name is Liane, 

I am a 40's something journalist and masters student, working on a research project about the Austin 7 motor car and the projects, such as the classic loan car scheme that are trying to encourage younger people to engage with the community and own classic cars such as the Austin 7.

About a year ago, my partner bought an 1938 Austin Ruby (called Burt) and the fascination of the car, the wider community and the preservation of heritage and culture fascinates me! 

The purpose of the research project and eventual radio programme is to engage with the current community and guardians surrounding the Austin 7 motor car, along with targeted younger generations that will be invited to engage with the project and become involved in understanding the community, the cars and the investment that is needed to maintain the cars existence in society as a historical and cultural product. 

I was looking to reach out to the community to ask if you would be willing to share your thoughts on how we encourage younger people to take up ownership of a classic car. Please feel free to make a comment this forum (all contributions will be considered as you agreeing to be part of the study). If you wish to be more involved and would like to be interviewed as part of the radio programme, contact me at lianekateG@gmail.com or on 07980556398.

Many thanks 

Liane
A rather pertinent question I feel as we are all getting a little greyer! One often wonders where the vintage car movement will be 50 or even 10 years from now. For sure there are challenges ahead, and younger blood is needed if the hobby / lifestyle we hold dear is to survive in anything like its present form. My own involvement in the A7 world was handed from father to son, as I'm guessing may be the case for a large number of people here. Dad worked as a mechanic for HWM in the 50's and never lost his enthusiasm for 'proper' cars, spending most of his latter years 'up in the garage'. The defining moment for me was the first A7 rally he took me to - Beaulieu 1978 I believe it was - and the sight and sound of all those sports Austins razzing around the field. Dad helped me buy my Nippy a year or two later and the rest, as they say, is history...
not your typical Brit (although my ancesters emigrated from Cornwall in the 1870's - was just there last year doing a bit of genealogy).  

I own a '35 Austin Seven Pearl Cabriolet, purchased from a guy in Mississippi who got it in a trade for work done.  Before that who knows.  It runs and I am currently going thru it bit by bit, getting rid of rust and polishing a bit.  Not a restoration right now, as I have other old cars that need some loving care too.  I have had many cars over the years, some just for fun, some to hot-rod, and some to restore and enjoy.  I have had a number of British cars...'53 Jaguar XK120 roadster, '57 Daimler saloon, '58 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud 1 (owned by a hungarian actress who did work in the US and UK, a long time girlfriend of Prince Philip's cousin...one of the Montbattens), and a '35 Hupmobile (American car, but built as a right hand drive for Australia...spent most of its life in Australia, before being purchased and returned to the US IN 2005).  

I have been fascinated with cars of all kinds, makes, shapes and sizes.  I am intrigued by the engineering and mechanics over the years, particularly British cars which often developed unique things which make me think they had no contact with Europe or the U.S. to utilize things which had already been developed elsewhere...trust me, they're almost never better than what existed elsewhere.

It's fun, keeps me out of the bars (or pubs there) and engages me intellectually.

If you would like, I would participate in your research.  I realize I'm in America, but perhaps that might lend a different take of interest to your viewers/readers/or whatever.  If so, respond to this post and I can share my contact info.

Cheers!
At a recent event the car next to me was an imitation E type Jaguar, it had a notice on it "Please do not touch the exhibit" No owner present. It won best in show. It was probably 5 years old at best, made of kit car bits etc. I sat by my Austin 7 all day long encouraging everbody, especially kids to sit in the car, I would maybe start the engine, and talk about it all day long. Everybody loved it, nostalgia and interest was at a premium. That what it is all about for me.
I would very much like to speak with you further on your interest in classic cars, the heritage & your geographical location is perfect, as I intended on reflecting on the attitudes within the UK & those On a global perspective. I found you would like to send me a email, we can talk further

Many thanks & I look forward to finding out more about your passion for classics. 

Liane

You are so right! It is about making it real. Museums are all well & good, but it is a two dimensional experience. To get young people engaged, we need to let them have the experience.

Thank you for your thoughts 

Liane

Thank This is a lovely story & one told with passion & nostalgia. Someone recently said to me that classic cars are part of our lives. They come with us, rather than take us on our  family holidays.

Thank you or sharing your story, I am sure it will encourage others to do the same. 

Many thanks 

Liane
steve62008@gmail.com
540.937.8283 (US - Virginia - EDT)
I'm with Chris, my passion for old cars & particularly 7's was passed from father to son. Dad is 86 and still as passionate about the cars as ever. Last year we completed a brand new supercharged A7 single seater special and hillclimbed it in May - it was a great project.

Kids of today need more tool box and less X-box, less social media and more fresh air and getting to grips with the nuts and bolts of rebuilding & restoring. Sadly in this world of fast food and instant gratification, few are prepared to put in the time & effort required to see a project through. A local youngster is dead keen on what we've done with our projects, his dad bought a job lot of bits sufficient to build a special, 3 years later its all up for sale, the youngster hasn't even cleaned the stuff, talked about it lots, he's a good kid, but a Millennial with the attention span of a goldfish.

The old apprentice system out here is all but dead, alas kids today don't have either the patience or the willingness to learn from the masters and the old skills are dying out

This is my experience in the Colonies, half way down under

Aye
Greig
I've had a simple tool box donated by a retiring owner for which the London Club magazine has recently published my letter appealing for a youngster (say under 25) to take it on as part of trying to encourage this sort of thing.

I've fortunately had responses and intend to pass on the tools on July 21st, at the London club celebrations at Tilford.

I personally think the clubs should be subsidising chassis/parts kits and giving them to pre-vetted youngsters who agree to giving a certain amount of time towards the hobby, perhaps with a small % clawback if the asset is sold.
Hi Greg, 

Your thoughts and reflections have already been mirrored with other contributors to my research project. It is the fast pace of the world today that prevents reflection, skills building and in some cases a true loss of history and heritage. 

Thank you for contributing, your thoughts will form part of my research 

Liane

hi Jon, 

What a great idea. giving the 'tools of the trade' so so speak, to enable those that are interested and want to know more. This is  potentially something that could grow UK wide. With car enthusiasts retiring form their involvement in maintaining classic cars and donating their tools to someone younger. This method could work well when there isn't a grandson to hand it down too, or where the immediate family show no interest. 

Perhaps an off shoot from this is training in how to use the tools. I know The British Motor Museum hold Virgin Classic Car training days for new to classics, but this could be spread wider into the community. It would be a way of preserving the skills and raising interest in younger communities, especially when they start tweeting about it and sharing their story on social media...

thank you for sharing your story. 

Liane
Liane - If you haven't already found it check out this: https://www.heritageskillsacademy.co.uk