The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brookfields Special
Hi All 

After a few successful posts on the "What have you done....." thread I've taken the plunge and started a new thread.  

It is "yet another" special build.  I have marshalled at a couple of VSCC trials and decided I wouldn't mind having a go.  For those that don't know VSCC trials are often for pre 1931 cars although pre war but post 31 cars can compete as vintage thoroughbreds.

My RK is just not really suitable.  I'd get the purple bubble cord upholstery dirty for a start!

So I've acquired a 1929 "kit of parts" and now have a sort of running chassis.  Both engine and back axle will need rebuilding but at least I can start on body building.

As mentioned in the "What have you done..." I am building an angle iron sub frame that will support all the running gear, including fuel tank and dashboard.  On to this will be a stressed skin plywood body with a fabric finish.  I originally intended no doors but the older I get and with comments on the accessibility of the Swallow I've decided to fit them.

Well today I've folded a lip around a sheet of 1mm steel, cut holes in it and eventually ended up with a bulkhead.  I've also found time to grind off the brazed headlamp support, fill the holes with silver solder and get a relatively presentable scuttle light.  It still needs rubbing down, filling and painting and the set screws in the picture will be replaced by the correct rivets.

Now for question time.... Temporarily fitting the fuel tank I find that the gate change gear lever fouls the bottom of the tank.  I think the gearbox and the tank are off a chummy, the dimensions of the bulkhead have been taken from my RK so why is there so little clearance.  Is it a common problem?

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I believe, though I am unable to quote chapter and verse, that there are variations in length of gate gear levers - but I may be wrong!
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
Thanks Rick

I've found a great thread on the old forum giving info on all the gate change levers.  It appears I have a short but straight lever.  It's 10" from top of gate to top of ball.

Before I go trying to bend it (sacrilege).  Does anyone have a later lever with more bend on it that we could swap?

Cheers

Howard

with that starter type wouldn't yours be a ball change style top?
Hi Jon

You are nearly correct.  The chassis number dates the car to February 1929 and ball change gear boxes were introduced in the October, more or less at the same time as the "bacon slicer" was discontinued.  So I should have a bacon slicer starter but I'll stick with what I have after all it is a special.  I do rather like the gate change though.  It "seems" more precise?

Cheers

Howard
Howard, you mention in your initial post “yet another special build” but in my view it’s better to have another Seven out there being used than yet another locked up as “an investment” more power to your elbow sir!
Thanks Ivor

And for those that question it, this is NOT wrecking a good saloon to build a special.  The parts were just that, even to the extent of the chassis being in bits!

Slight concern about DVLA when its all finished but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!!

Cheers

Howard
Keep going Howard. If the special is not quite  ready for the Welsh Trial, remember that you and the RK will be very welcome as entrants for Rali Gwasgarog Gwymraeg/Welsh Scatter on Sat 12th October, regs just about to be issued.
After reading other vital forum episodes this morning, maybe I need to check with TOPO as to whether lions, alive or stuffed, will be allowed in competing cars.
Hi Steve

Hope to be doing that!

Cheers

Howard

PS I didn't think they spoke Welsh in Monmouth?
Hi All

I've now finished the initial welding of the sub frame.  Having built this "on the car" some of my welds are not very pretty so I'm now going to clean them up and then drill 3/16" mounting holes around the frame. Finally wire brush, prime and paint with my favourite "Technogrip" paint (Lechler paints). 

I've also cut a dashboard, seat back and rear floor panel mainly to help with getting the lines right for panelling.  None of these will provide support for the body.  

I'm homing in on a 3.6mm ply (available cheaply at my local builders merchant) skin attached to the sub frame then a very sparse 12mm ply skin (kurfed around the bendy bits and glued onto the 3.6mm ply. By sparse I mean to have just a skeleton of 12mm ply providing sufficient form to carry the hessian, wadding and fabric. I'll kind of attack the 12mm ply with a free form jig saw.  Should be fun!

That will have to wait until after Guildtown now Smile.

Cheers

Howard