The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brookfields Special
I've always though tthe Speedy screen is perhaps a little too large for the car. It is disproportionate. With respect Howard, I think my assertion applies to yours and I would consider lowering it a little. I know it's a trade off between often ineffective aeros and a full screen but with your car being SWB, the screen overpowers more than it does on a Speedy, which is LWB.

Just my personal opinion, otherwise you're doing a great job in constructing a lovely special.

Chris
Sometimes you have to trade off aesthetics to practicality.When I built my trials car I made the screen what I thought looked right,and was high enough to deflect the wind. In practice it was just right to deflect the wind into your eyes.
It will depend on how high you sit in the car relative to the height of the scuttle. Howard will know when he gets the car on the road.
Hi Chris and Austin

I made the screen quite high and just low enough to look over.  I think I will use the plexiglass to start with.  I can then experiment when the car is on the road before getting some glass cut.

On a separate note I’ve spent the morning cutting valve seats.  So what, the experienced engine builders might say.  However I used a “very” cheap cutting set (£26 off eBay and instructions in Chinese).  I was a bit wary and had to machine a long bush as the mandrel that came with the kit was too narrow for the valve guides.  The set also came with grindstones that finish the seats off nicely.  Just needs a very light lap now.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   ABF443A6-C580-4950-9243-E4D6A3B7B733.jpeg (Size: 80.02 KB / Downloads: 429)
Hi All

Not posted on this thread for some time....

However a milestone was reached today.  I’ve finally got the engine in and bolted up the carb and exhaust manifold.  I think it looks neat!

Next job is to sort out the dashboard which has been de-constructed and will be modified to provide more space to wire up without the possibility of shorts against the fuel tank!

Start up sometime soon  Huh.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   B4C796D5-C0F3-4D3A-8C15-CC041EFF12BC.jpeg (Size: 100.11 KB / Downloads: 338)
wow - looking good. Never seen a carb in that position before - is this bespoke?
Hi Jon

Yes bespoke it is.  It’s a standard sports type inlet manifold with the flangecut off and a 80 degree elbow welded on.  The carb is an H2 SU with the float chamber to carb body link modified to bring the chamber closer to the carb and get the float level right.

Two benefits I see are a lower carb position allowing gravity feed from the Chummy tank and avoiding the heat rising off the exhaust manifold.  The air intake is low down and should bring cold air in.

However the proof of the pudding......

Cheers

Howard
You might need a heat-shield between exhaust manifold and fuel pipe.
Hi Mike

Thanks, I may need to but it is positioned right next to louvres in the side panel and a big hole (access to the fuel tap) so I may get away with it.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   7ACA556F-FC4C-43AF-B1FB-2F9526F289BB.jpeg (Size: 111.79 KB / Downloads: 292)
That's looking very good Howard. Where did you get the exhaust manifold? I fancy one of those!
Hi Duncan

A club member had it hanging in his garage!  It isn’t that well made, actually. No 1 pipe is too close to the inlet manifold and the steel spacer pipe and washer only just fits. It exits very close to the flitch plate so I had to modify the flange to fit.  The flange had been brazed on (which caused some sparks when I tried to weld it ?) so I assume the rest is brazed too.  Better not get it too hot ?.

Cheers

Howard