The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fitting into a Swallow Saloon
Hi Bob,

When I first got the Ruby, I noticed the bolts holding the full Girling actuators onto the rear backplates were 'loose' - fortunately I realised that they needed to float.  

Once saw rods replacing cables on a famous barn find Ulster special - LKL 513 - as few years back - looked like a bad idea and wondered if this worked in practice, let alone gave any improvement.  

Colin
Thanks Ian and Jim

Yes I guess now I know why those cable guides are important and also wear quite quickly!

Cheers

Howard
I’ve never tried fitting into a Swallow Saloon,  is there one in Scotland?

Having almost completed my GE Cup I can get in it
via the minuscule drivers door, but it’s tricky exiting on the same door
As the gap between the steering column and the B post is restrictive..
Before anyone asks I am only 34” waist , 5’ 10”  tall. So have now decided to exit
via the passenger side to save any contortions.

The cockpit is pretty small and some passengers might not be permitted!

One of my friends had a romantic weekend thwarted when
The lady in question couldn’t fit in to his pre-war sports car...
(Make of Car secret to protect the individual!)

At least the Cup is not too low for older drivers to get up and down from.

Though perhaps with an Ulster you just step in ?

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Bill,

I'm pretty certain there's an A7 Swallow Saloon in the Myreton Motor Museum, Aberlady which can't be that far from you - not sure if they'll let you sit in it though it being a museum. My last visit to Myreton was way back in the 1970's, I took some colour trannies of the cars and I'm sure one of them was of the Swallow. I have briefly sat in one - it belonged to a guy on Teesside who had advertised some A7 parts on ebay that I went to collect - I too am 34" waist and around 5' 6" tall and found it rather tight.

Jeff.

Just checked online and here it is, looking in better condition paint finish wise than when I last saw it back in the '70's.

.png   Screen Shot 2019-07-09 at 16.08.43.png (Size: 400.93 KB / Downloads: 122)
Anyone else care to divulge their vital statistics....
And which cars they can’t fit into?
A sadly missed area of numeracy from older “magazines” and newspapers. :-)

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Peter Kendrick in Edinburgh has a Swallow saloon Bill - I can put you in touch with him if you would like.

I do hope the Myreton Swallow has not been restored, it was delightfully crusty when I last saw it 5 years ago. Criminal, if it has been changed!