The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which head ?
Hi I fancy up grading my special with a new head. Which head shall I go for to give me the best performance improvement and also the best value for my money ?
The engine is fairly standard at the moment although its got an Su carb and a banana exhaust.
 Any advice gratefully received. 

Regards Clive Medland
I asked this question a while back and was recommended
to get a Ricardo aluminium head.

I’m very pleased with the result and I also run with a 1”SU

Other heads are available though ...
Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
I was very impressed with a Dave Dye Ricardo head (made to minimum possible CR), but on an older/unrestored engine you might find any HC head makes a slightly oilier exhaust than with the standard LC head, if you have one of those currently... just from increased engine pressures.
Ricardo head from David Dye or Motwaugh Hewitt head from John Barlow (if you can reach him) .... I like them both but my merchanic preferred the flow-looks of the Ricardo.
Doing business with David Dye was a bit swifter than with John Barlow but then.. John has had some. health problems, conflicts with British Telecom that made him unreachable in ay way other than by snail mail and on top of that a fire destroyed his bookkeping records ... so give him a bit of slack

David Dye is on this forum (Austin in the Shed) and if he reads this. he might send you a PM.
(05-07-2019, 05:18 PM)JonE Wrote: .... on an older/unrestored engine you might find any HC head makes a slightly oilier exhaust than with the standard LC head, if you have one of those currently... just from increased engine pressures.

It's difficult to see how a higher compression ratio can possibly give an oilier exhaust. I'm baffled.
Dave Dye's reproduction Ricardo heads every time. I've got three. A fourth is due for delivery later this month.

Harry Ricardo new what he was doing even then.

Steve
Whilst you are at it Clive take note of the advice on the cam follower thread and invest 25 quid there.
Black Art Enthusiast
'Whilst you are at it Clive take note of the advice on the cam follower thread and invest 25 quid there.'

And fit a '1937' head !
Hi Thank you for the advice although I am slightly confused as Tony Press suggests I fit modified cam followers and then a 37 head which is on the engine already. Are you suggesting not to bother with a new head ?
Regards Clive
Hi
I am also thinking of replacing my cylinder head to gain a little more power.
Car happily travels at 40mph but lacks pull up hills and speed soon tails off.
How do I contact Dave Dye, does he have a website?