The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Phoenix Conrods
Picking brains.
I made a stupid mistake when rebuilding my Hadley Crankshaft engine and ruined a 1 15/16” splash fed Conrod . 
To cut a long story short, I am unable to get a replacement.
Can I fit Phoenix rods as an alternative?. Can I get Phoenix rods with the 45 degree big end joint.
I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Tony Betts (http://www.7ca.co.uk/index.htm ) has Hadley conrods be it in 1 1/2 inch..... but maybe he can be of help. If not make haste to order with Phoenix as they have manufacturing a batch of crankshafts and conrods planned for late this summer (I know as I've ordered a crankshaft with conrods for my Rosengart with Phoenix.....)
Derek, if you meant 1 5/16" conrod I'm sure there are plenty of those around, someone here will have some spare I'm sure.
Cheers

Mark
Derek the answer to your questions is no. Tony or one of the other second hand dealers will no doubt have a big box of 1 5/16" splash rods, if your journals are std, you may even be able get a rod that has been metalled for an undersize crank, you can then bore it out to suit your's. I have successfully done just this on more than one occasion.
Black Art Enthusiast
Hi Derek,

All 1 5/16 cranks should all be machined to the same jernal width. So you can fit austin pheonix and HADLEY rods.

Same with the 1 1/2, only they are actually a metric jernal to take shells.

Pheonix do not make the 45% rods,

Here's the sad part, I used to make the 1 5/16 rods on 45%. But the profit margins were just to small. Making £50 a set pushes me to close to the vat level. Same as some of the other large items I'm looking at making, meen I have to stop doing some smaller items.

I'll have a word with mark at pheonix in a bit about rods, as he is dropping in on me latter to take about the next batch of crank and rods.

Tony
I recall that John Barlow supplies newly manufactured 1" 5/16 rods. Can't recall if they are 45 degree but does that matter with the smaller big ends? 

C
I bought some new 1 5/16" rods from John. They are not 45 degree.
Thanks for all the comments and help. It’s a bit like London buses , you wait for ages and two come along.!
I now have two 1 5/16” Hadley con rods so if you have one of the ten Hadley 1 5/16” splash fed cranks I have the only spare in existence and that will ever be.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I am always interested in any information about Rosengart details or current owners.
Well there you go Derek, I have learnt something, I had no idea that Hadley were making 1 5/16" split little end con rods!
Black Art Enthusiast
They are a joy to fit - much more sensible than others that do not fit down the bores.

As Derek suggests I also think these may well be the last we see unfortunately.  Ever hopeful however.