The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello
Hello i have just bought a Austin seven chummy 1930 . Im like a kid with a new toy . A big beaming smile lol.   Can anyone help my chummy is fitted with a Zenith updraught carb. But it is in a poor state and the body is cracked. Has anyone got one for sale.  I have been advised that a zf22 carb is a better option. Is this a solex or zenith carb ? .  Kind regards Ray  07785 278 445
Hi - John Parfitt on Austin 7 Spares Exchange 'group' on Facebook has a bronze FZ one listed presently... or get to Beaulieu on Sunday and see what you can find...
Thanks will have a look
I would add the Mazak(Zamak) ones are not as good (durable) as a bronze one. That said, I think the works had changed to the pot metal by 1930. Others more experienced will be able to clarify further.

Erich in Seattle
If you are not too worried about originality, a Zenith 24T2 carb is a viable replacement, and can often be picked up at a reasonable price. Spares are readily available, and I believe they are even available to buy new. Some care is needed to get the right set up, as they were originally intended for tractors etc., but plenty of useful information to be had online.
I have a "genuine" 24T2 on my '27 Chummy & it is excellent. Zenith made them post war specifically jetted & set up for updraft Sevens part no C1372 stamped on the top, but make sure it has the right jets: Main 75 (or82 apparently)14mm choke,Slow Running jet 50, Air mix 150 & needle valve 1.5.
The main jet clogs with crud easily (don't ask!) so fit an in line filter at least. Lots around for little grey Fergies but finding the right jets can be a challenge
Ray,

Your local Austin 7 Club should be able to help here with advice and spares.

Tony.
Ray, I have a newish 24T2 C1372 I am about to list if you don't find anything else...send me a pm...
Did you get my private message, offering to help with at least a bronze body from an incomplete instrument? As far as I know all the other bits can be swapped over.
Robert Leigh