The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dynamator
Just necro-bumping this subject up again - is there any experience yet of how well these fit and work? I notice they're on Ebay as well as direct from Accuspark and some have sold. Being 12v -ve earth already myself (to power the Dolby surround sound you know) this looks very tempting. Starting with a brand spanking new unit sounds good compared with the decent but slightly worn dynamo components. The converted dynamo will charge at 12v but not consistently without TLC. I do seem to be able to get a days driving out of a charged battery and while that covers everything I currently use it for I'd prefer to 'fix' the charging and get rid of the red light being on all the time.

Dave
Just waiting for DHL to deliver mine ,will fit it next week and let you know how it works.

It has just arrived and looks good ,I used the Club 7 discount code which reduced the price from £ 249.95 +carriage to £ 182.90 inclusive of £7.95 carriage.
A year or three ago there was a very objective account of high output substitute alternators by someone with extensive practical experience. It would seem to be a useful read if anyone can direct to.

10 amps at 12 v is twice the power of the original dynamo. 45 amp is mentioned! Presumably the max current can be restricted, otherwise a magnet to gather the timing gear dust may be desirable.

Do the units utilise old casings etc or has all been made from scratch.?
(05-10-2017, 07:42 PM)DaveT Wrote: One question, being an Alternator instead of a Dynamo, ie AC current to DC current does that affect any of the gauges or anything else on the car?

Conversion to DC done in the control circuitry fitted to all automotive alternators, hence moderns don't need control boxes.

Geoff - I will use LED lamps.
I have just taken my first drive with the 12 volt neg earth Dynamator fitted..The ignition light took a while to go out.
Seems to charge at about 2 or 3 amps. Turning all lights on seemed to make no difference, still charged at 2 or 3 amps...
All up I am pleased with result..
(06-11-2017, 06:08 PM)Tony K Wrote: I have just taken my first drive with the 12 volt neg earth Dynamator fitted..The ignition light took a while to go out.
Seems to charge at about 2 or 3 amps. Turning all lights on seemed to make no difference, still charged at 2 or 3 amps...
All up I am pleased with result..

Hi Tony

Thanks for your post it has been reassuring.

I have the same 12V neg earth Dynamator - I am seeing exactly the same thing - the ignition light stays on when you switch the ignition off after the engine has been running.  It looks like there is a residual charge somewhere in the dynamotor and the difference between that and the battery is sufficient to keep the ignition light on until the  charge has dissipated.

I am seeing a similar 2-3 amp charge to the battery, sometimes as high as 10amps. As a means of testing the dynamotor I have 4 x 60W bulbs wired up and the power is delivered without any effect on the charge current being delivered to the battery.

Regards Peter
I have this installed to my Opal which has CFR cutout and SA1 switch. Ignition light goes out as soon as engine is searched off. I have similar results with charging rate. 10 amp charge for about 3 mins then settles down a negligible charge regardless as to whether the headlamps are on or off.
1931 RN, 1933 APD
6 volt is what is wanted.

Very few would want 12 volt.
12v was a strange decision but 6v is very close, a few weeks I am told.
(03-02-2018, 09:39 PM)Nick Turley Wrote: 6 volt is what is wanted.

Very few would want 12 volt.

I shall go for 12Volt negative earth because of the benefits of better lights, better starting and availability of compatible components.