The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RN saloon windscreen seal
This seal, between the windscreen frame and the body for cars with the original steel frame or brass replica frame but not the RP frame found on some RN saloons. The Seven Workshop seal BO402A listed as the seal for the box saloon steel frame is a perfect fit, it took me about 10 minutes to fit with the screen in the car. It is almost identical to a bit of very hard original seal.
I also fitted one a few months ago - it went on perfectly, was there doubt as to it’s suitability?
In Dave Phillips era the Seven workshop seal wouldn't fit so I've used Vintage Supplies seals which were difficult to fit, so it's nice to see Jamie has done his homework. This post was for the benefit of those owners which had asked me about which seal to use.

.jpg   709 section.jpg (Size: 11.28 KB / Downloads: 419)     Attached are photos of the RN windscreen frame material just to help both original steel and replica brass to aid identification.
Hi Dave
The lathe has nice old style balanced handles. Is it floor mounted? What is it please?
I discussed this screen frame about a year ago after first getting my RN. It was to be a winter job but didn't get done. 

My frame is not like either of those here. There is no groove on the side for a seal but there is a very very small gap on the inside of the frame. I believe that in a previous life someone went around and shaved the seal off close to the frame and then stuck a bit of spongy rubber on the bodywork for the screen to close up against. 

Does anyone agree that a long tedious job is on the way to extract the cut off seal from the frame and a new seal of the profile type in the last picture can then be inserted in the groove.

I put this post because I remembered the discussion about these seals however I couldn't remember with whom, the problem of advancing years. If your photos show each side of the frame then it isn't an RP frame, what is that shown in the outside edge of photo 1, it appears to be a cut off RN seal. The lathe is a 1930s bench mounted Sheldon recovered from a skip 30 odd years ago which despite having seen better days is very useful. The bungy cord is to hold the cellar door open.
Yes Dave, That is the inside of the frame.  I am inclined to believe that it is the very thin gap for a seal and the seal has been cut off and the bulb has been allowed to stay in the gap. Getting it out is the difficulty!
Peter
Haven't you had a poke with a knife to see what it is, the suspense is unbearable.
Yes Dave, It's soft and rubbery!!! I have ordered multiple quantities of very sharp knife blades and after I take my friends bride to West Firle for her wedding next Saturday, that will be the next job. That is after I get the felt to stick to the sliders on the sunshine roof. I have a  promise of enough 3 mm felt in the post from a UK felt manufacturer who's MD is a Classic car enthusiast, " big bonus" for me to experiment with fixings etc. Watch this space on that one.
Thanks for your interest. I need all the help that I can get.
Regards
Peter