The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear reflectors...
(01-07-2019, 03:08 PM)JohnD Wrote: Hedd, I was under the impression that if they were fitted they had to work.

I removed the indicators from a 1980 Vespa and sent it for an MOT, but as it still had an indicator switch this was [In theory!] a failure!

No, and don't expect MOT testers to know the law either, not that the law and the MOT testing requirements are necessarily consistent.

The law:-

SI1989 No 1796( The Road Vehicles Lighting Regs 1989) Pt1 Reg 4 (Exemptions)
(4) Without prejudice to regulation 16, for the purposes of these Regulations a lamp shall not be treated as a lamp if it is- 

(a) so painted over or masked that it is not capable of being immediately used or readily put to use; or
(b) an electric lamp which is not provided with any system of wiring by means of which that lamp is, or can readily be, connected with a source of electricity.
Do the regulations specify how close to the side of the car they need to be?
Jim
There are the mot manual to read
And the construction and use manual
The last one is basically what you need
To make it road legal .
Both can be downloaded from the Internet.
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?
I mounted mine on top of the back axle, on a plate welded to the casing - might just be possible on the Cup.

Would mounting the reflectors on thin sheet steel brackets held to the rear spring by the grease nipples work, I wonder.....
Whatever the legalities, I have long been an advocate of large low mounted reflectors on any car, and especially old cars with modest lighting and likely to be encountered at large speed differences. I have followed my cars and at a distance the fluctuating reflectors certainly draw attention. Unlike Seven drivers, modern motorists are mostly half asleep and often preoccupied with a myriad dashboard and in car diversions and mirrors. Reflectors light up suddenly when the modern sharp topped dip illuminates and the flash tends to alert the driver. Demountable reflectors often solve the appearance problem. But distance tends to be misjudged unless wide spaced.
Given that most modern drivers seem to get their licences with tokens from breakfast cerial packs we use the large 4" reflectors from roadside maintenance signs. Quite cheap (nothing if you are quick) and stand out like proverbials.
I certainly think a decent pair of reflectors is a potential life saver on modern roads, they will be spotted long before 6V tail lights.

I also think they should be mounted if not according to law, at least in a way that conveys the message that a small car is looming up fast. You do not want to be mistaken for a large car in the distance, a motorbike or a drifting crisp packet.

Rather than magnets, could not some reflectors be mounted on small brackets that secure to the trailing edge of those wings by something like a soft-jawed bulldog clip? And popped on when the occasion merits it.
It looks like there's room on your number plate to attach these:

https://northboundstore.com/products/mag...ectors-red