The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re-profiling Cam Followers
I wonder how many hundred tappets my father reground, with very primitive equipment.

I wonder how many hundred rappers my father reground, with very primitive equipment.
I don’t think the question is whether you can do it, for you can. The question is, if for 25quid it’s worth the bother.
Alan Fairless
Hi Jamie, picture of first prototype. As you can see, crude but worked well. You also need to control the feed of the follower to the grindstone in order to keep an accurate radius. Easily done with some threaded rod and a nut.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(30-06-2019, 11:31 AM)Alan Wrote: I don’t think the question is whether you can do it, for you can. The question is, if for 25quid it’s worth the bother.

That's exactly it. I've had numerous sets re-ground over the years and all done quickly, accurately and for little money. I've a set away at the moment together with a camshaft and due back next week. 

Steve
Just out of interest, who does them for £25? I couldn't get any better than £50 plus VAT & postage

Thanks
Roger,I think we all would be really interested in how your dad reground A7 camshafts,I was told he adapted an old lathe as a base ?
Jamie,I use a Clarkson tool and cutter grinder to reprofile followers which also means I can redress the wheel easily,and yes £25 plus post providing they're not for ebay re sale !
Reprofiled followers work well with an original profile cam.But if you are using a reprofiled camshaft ask the cam man which radius followers you should use. Using either will require shortening the bronze tappet guides inside the tappet chest.
I was over in Guernsey a couple of weeks back so I could have brought you a set to do Dave!! At least we timed our visit right to see the Classic Vehicle show at Saumarez park. Nice display of 7's was one of them yours?
Sent you a PM ,Dave
Did you bring over one of the UK Rileys ?
Paul Bonewell for me !
Is there any advantage/disadvantage of flatter radius tappets with a standard camshaft?