The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for my first seven
Ey up, I'm Jeff and I'm after a 7. Since watching some 7s go up harewood hill climb, I've been thinking about getting one myself. My current plan is to find a ropey ruby, drive as is for a year or two to get a hang of the mechanicals, then (sacrilege,I know) perhaps turn it into a special. Or get a chassis with v5 separately and build one from that.

I'm based in Yorkshire but don't mind a bit of a travel, does anybody know of a cheap ruby, or chassis with v5?

Cheers,
Jeff
Jeff - if you have the immediate investment of 3500-4000 or so, hang out for the registered, well used but tatty car, as it will cost you less in stress and collecting and paying for re-assembly parts.i.e. something like this seems to have been hanging around a while (why?) - join your local club and preferably don't buy anything unless someone else has seen it first! https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1124346
Even better - hope than an older club member locally is downsizing a little... buying something with know foibles better than something unknown.
Cheers Jon, that's exactly the sort of car I had in mind, the hydraulic brakes on that one have my ears pricked up a bit. I'll look into joining a club, I've a couple of old cars in a '62 commer pa camper and a mini van, but I've no experience of pre war stuff, so thank you for the advice
Others will no doubt advise that assembling something could be done for 2500 in parts and chassis and tea and cakes with DVLA, but there will be a heap load of your time involved in restoring and assembling everything whilst its garagebound.

I had hydraulic brakes present on my first two sevens and don't want them again - it is the only thing which is preventing a car being easily locked up and left through long wartime periods etc. Try and find something completely original so you know you are scratching your head with what Austin intended, perhaps.

There was another similar car down in Cornwall on Facebook austin 7 group... but I'm sure you will find something much more locally.
It would be a shame to buy something that was driveable, and therefore saveable, then turn it into a special (IMHO). Better to start with a special in the first place and develop it over time or, as you suggest, start with a chassis and V5. But buy a car to use as well, so you get some fun and don't just spend the next 5 years in the garage...
Hi Jeff

You will find a gang of people on your doorstep who will help you - me for one.

I think you should join the pre war austin seven club we have a thriving Yorkshire group and you would be most welcome.

Contact Ian Hoole (our secretary) ‭07590 274598  wypwa7@gmail.com

Our Calendar is on:- http://www.vintageaustingroup.co.uk

Hope to meet you soon.
Where in Yorkshire are you? It's a big county! If you're near Ripon area come and see me...
As one of those you might have seen racing at Harewood, I endorse Nick's advice, above; the PWA7C has a very active Yorkshire membership. As Duncan says, where are you?

Steve
I'm with Hugh on this. Find a special that would benefit from improvement and work on that. There are plenty around and there's no need to sacrifice a saloon that's lasted over eighty years. Furthermore, if it already has "Sports"/"Tourer"/"2-seater" paperwork you will avoid a whole world of pain and misery with DVLA.
(27-06-2019, 04:04 PM)Martin Prior Wrote: you will avoid a whole world of pain and misery with DVLA.

Heavens, yes. And also some very long drawn out processes. I speak from experience.  Sad