The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Re setting rear springs
The Ulsteroid rides a bit low at the rear for trials, the springs have about an inch of set on them when fitted and the weight of the car is on them. I have to rebuild the axle in a couple of weeks and was wondering if sending them to the local black smith to have a couple of inches more set put in was a viable option? I dont know if its just a case of heating them up and bending them, or if they have to come apart and be completely rebuilt. if the latter then new springs are probably a better option.

Stuart.

(03-10-2017, 04:33 PM)Special Bits Wrote: The Ulsteroid rides a bit low at the rear for trials, the springs have about an inch of set on them when fitted and the weight of the car is on them. I have to rebuild the axle in a couple of weeks and was wondering if sending them to the local black smith to have a couple of inches more set put in was a viable option? I dont know if its just a case of heating them up and bending them, or if they have to come apart and be completely rebuilt. if the latter then new springs are probably a better option.

Stuart.

This shows the problem, add 25 stone to the car and it sits down at the back considerably. As I have entered the MCC Exeter trial I should probably try to stop the spare wheel well hitting the rocks!
[Image: 16996138_1407745462630313_53964292213076...e=5A7B28A0]
Would it be best to ask your blacksmiths advice first ?And cost too.
Its only knocking out the 1/2" rivet to separate the leaves . If you fit new springs they may be weaker/stronger than the ones you have now and not having the camber you require.
(03-10-2017, 10:53 PM)Austin in the Shed Wrote: Would it be best to ask your blacksmiths advice first ?And cost too.
Its only knocking out the 1/2" rivet to separate the leaves . If you fit new springs they may be weaker/stronger than the ones you have now and not having the camber you require.

Thanks Dave
Yes I'm afraid new springs will be too stiff. Unfortunately I'm working away a lot at the moment, hence asking here, but yes I will have to make contact with one of the surprising number of black smiths around here.

Stuart.