The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.27 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hillman imp engine!
Has anyone fitted an 875 imp engine to a 7? I’m sure most things have been done before so I thought I’d ask?
I have seen 750cc Coventry Climax water pump engines fitted which is basically the same thing just physically smaller then an Imp engine. They go well and are good in a 750MC 60's style special, not so good for anything much else due to eligibility issues.
Black Art Enthusiast
I’m not allowed to race, I just want to keep up with the traffic, my issue is what gearbox could be used?

Cheers Ian
What ever you want its a modern special just make a bell housing mounting plate, they are only a bit of 1/4" steel plate, then modify the clutch and flywheel to suit your chosen gearbox. Big seven would do, but rubbish ratios, Reliant, Sprite the list goes on.
Black Art Enthusiast
The Chrysler Sunbeam used a modified Imp engine in what was effectively a shortened Avenger floorpan. If you could get a Chrysler Sunbeam gearbox, it might do the job.
The late Dale Shaw, who was a stalwart of our A7 club in Melbourne, built several specials, both A7 and otherwise. Most were for competing in both Mud Trials (your Sporting trials) and mootorkhanas and his singleseater Seven racer was one of the top two in Oz.  One he built was called the Four Week Flyer ('cos that's how long he took to build it from scratch), later a Four-by-four week Flyer.  The latter  took four months from starting and featured a veyr hot Hillman Imp motor attached to a 4spd Austin 7 gearbox.  He won just about everything in both trials and M'khanas, including Australian titles.  I was lucky to passenger for him a few times in the former and even competed with it in a couple of the latter.  There was always a queue to be invited for this, but I was lucky - he was my Best Man!  He then built a very light wedge-shaped racer, again fitted with Imp mot and A7 g/box, which showed the box to be very strong..  Like anything else - to be worthwhile one has to work hard into making these thing a success, but Dale showed it was possible.   Cheers,  Bill in Oz
Thanks everyone, I’m thinking of a Reliant at the moment but watch this space?
Reliant engine and gearbox is a easy
Fit and reliant propshaft will bolt onto
Back axle but will need shortening?
Just done it on a ruby special.
My problem I ask questions that other people don't like?
Like have you got that for an investment or for fun?