The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Never start the engine unless you are going to do something with it..."
Do other people follow this advice, or does it only apply to more exotic machinery like Bugattis, I wonder?

Colin
Yes, always follow that excellent advice. On all cars. And the lawnmower.
and my traction engine. Lots of people have them ticking over at shows. I don't. why cause wear when there is no need?
90% of engine wear occurs from a cold start.
I recall that there was a tradition amongst the Japanese samurai that they never sheathed their sword until it had tasted blood.
The underlying principle is that one should never just start a car without giving it some work to do. It gives me an excuse to take the Seven out every time I start it for whatever reason, even if it is just to the town and back.
Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
On the other hand, it’s nice just listening to a well tuned engine.
Alan Fairless
Years ago when such things were published I read several reports on engine cyl and ring wear. Once warmed up it virtually ceases, but was considerable when cold. Modern oils (probably not the boutique "classic") assist and modern cars warm up very fast.
Condensation is esp bad for roller bearings. and cold starts also fill the exh with condensation, now less harmful than when full of lead scavengers. Shutdown cold to be avoided. For a car like the Seven can often be pushed in and out of garage etc and avoid many starts.
Many on this forum seem obsessed with reducing wear in Sevens to nil as if another 200,000 miles without failure or overhaul is intended and expected, yet no one advocates for thermostats?
One in-line thermostat awaiting the curious and soon to be advocate.

I have to admit there is a marked difference in warm up times between when the car had a two blade fan and now with a 4 blade, even down here in darkest Rekkersland where the weather can be a tad warm.
That sounds like a good reason to stick with a two blade fan, especially in the North.

Dropping the car out of the garage and pushing it back, with the help of a wedge (rock it to get it going), when wanting to work in daylight has saved many cold starts over the years.

Colin