The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F &D connections advice needed

.jpeg   5A1E5247-14C6-4AF0-995B-ABD284314D00.jpeg (Size: 58.09 KB / Downloads: 325)
.jpeg   17EA5FB5-EB30-45DF-A3AE-5C34B06E227B.jpeg (Size: 61.13 KB / Downloads: 324)

I’m finalising the wiring in the Cup as as a new person to A7’s
I have gaps in my knowledge.

I attach photos of the CF cut out and the top of the dynamo
terminal block.

On the dyno which is F1 and the other D??
On the Cutout what are the connections
 left and right in this orientation?

Perhaps it’s obvious but my powers are failing!

Regards

Bill G
Based near the Scottish Border,
Bill,
On the dynamo, the 'F' terminal is the one with the end of the resistance coil attached to it (the top terminal in your photo). This should connect to the back of the charging switch on the dash. The switch will earth the field coils to give you full charge and not earth them to give you half charge, (depending on the position of the switch) when the field coils earth through the resistance coil.

The 'D' terminal on the dynamo (the lower terminal in your photo) should be connected to left hand connection in the photo of your cutout box (the terminal below the black wire. The other terminal of the cutout (under the red wire) should go to the ammeter. Which side of the ammeter depends on whether you are positive or negative earth. The other side of the ammeter should go to the battery and the rest of the electrics.

Hope this helps.

David.
Thanks David I’ll get onto this tomorrow,
I appreciate your useful advice.

Bill G
Bill,

From my memory of an earlier post you have a Lucas SM3 switchboard which, unlike the advice on a prominent website does not support the later summer  'half charge' setting, merely switching the dynamo on or off to regulate the charge.

The SM3 switchboard is for a magneto motor.

Not sure how you put your pictured dynamo into this circuit - is it from a later motor ?

Cheers, Tony.
Hi Tony

Although this switch panel has power sockets and a
Silver faced ammeter it does have the two charge settings.

It’s definitely not a mag panel.

My car is a mix of parts in the engine compartment.

Regards

Bill G

O
.jpeg   AFAF4A4F-C581-49CE-8FB0-007434542FFF.jpeg (Size: 64.4 KB / Downloads: 127)
.jpeg   83750712-0481-4DCD-A1D3-2AD9C3C16172.jpeg (Size: 61.18 KB / Downloads: 127)

Hi Tony

It’s an unusual panel and possibly a crossover?

Regards

Bill G